HELP! Windows XP Pro. fatal error

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Heres the story:
Today I downloaded the Defender-Pro anti-virus installed it and started making a system scan it Identified 2 trojans or viruses and I choosed to delete both but on the second one it told me that it couldnt be deleted and gave me a option to delete it at start up, I choosed it and the screen instally went blue and gave me a fatal error with some numbers. All I had left to do is restart the computer manually and before "Windows is starting up..." screen it gets a black screen which it never did and take 20 something seconds to reach "Windows is starting up..." it hangs there, it doesnt freeze or something like that but it hangs there and it stays there forever. I tried starting it on Safe-mode but it does the same thing.

I also followed this guide http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313 to get it fixed but unfortunately it didnt work either, Do I have any other options to save my data files settings and configurations or somehow get it back to how it was?

This been killing me the whole day. :bawling:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Can you tap F8 to get to Windows Safe Mode With Networking prior to Windows ever loading? Just turn your PC on and hit F8 a lot until you get a menu with the option I listed. If you do, try to log into that safe mode with networking.
  • edited August 2006
    That doesnt work either, it keeps hanging up at the same place :(
    edited August 2006
    Okay, do you know how to get to the Windows Recovery Console? And do you have a Windows XP Home or Pro CD that isn't a Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway or other OEM CD?
  • edited August 2006
    Yes I do.
    edited August 2006
    Good! Launch to the Windows recovery console and type these commands:

cd..
    attrib -h-r-s boot.ini
    del boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild (Identifier = Microsoft Windows XP / Load option = /fastdetect )
    chkdsk /r
    attrib +h+r+s boot.ini
    fixboot
    fixmbr
    exit

Let's see if that works.
  • edited August 2006
    Ok I'm gonna try it later today and I'll post the results, I'm at a friends PC atm. Thanks for the help!
  • edited August 2006
    Well I tried it and no positive results yet, its still getting stock at the same place, dammit I shouldva studied computer programming :(
    Anything else I can try?
    edited August 2006
    Okay, do you know how to do a Windows XP repair install? It rebuilds Windows around YOUR files and YOUR settings. Everything you have will stay intact.
  • edited August 2006
    Yea, I was leaving that as a last option, I'll try it now.
  • edited September 2006
    Well its been around 2 weeks, I gave up on my pc since I got a problem when I tried the repair install, I tried it again today but no hope, I followed this guide: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

What happened: after the first step of the repair install was done(deleting and copying files) the pc rebooted like it was supposed to, loaded up normally and took me to like a clean windows install screen, two seconds after it starts I get a wmessage windows saying:
    The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
    Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.
    (theres already a path typed in the slot. is => GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\l386 )

I keep pressing ok on the already typed path but nothing happens, I try to cancel and gives me a error and tells me that the installation was aborted by the user.
    Anyway that I can find and somehow type a path for this 'asms'? I cant believe I'm still stuck in this mess.