ocz and shuttle a35-n ultra incompatibility possibility

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Well i installed ocz premier series ram into my shuttle a35-n ultra board, and it got all these weird symbols and stuff while in bios..i even recall seeing a spade..lol.. at any rate...afterwards my board shorted out while in windows...it was running and i went back to check on it and it didnty work corretnly
ocz premier 2x256mb, pc 3200
and now...my mobo automatically turns on when i flip the psu switch in the back (put it on a cardboard box same deal) could the RAM have fried my board?

btw its a nforce 2-ultra chipset..which wwas working fine with geil ram for a few years now (also pc3200, but the timings werent nearly as good)

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Ram can't fry a board but a board can theoretically fry ram. Other stuff usually gets fried before the ram though. Your issue is normally typical from MSI and the -5 line is the one to blame on those boards. What happens if you put back the Geil? Have you reset the cmos before putting in the OCZ?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Ram can't fry a board but a board can theoretically fry ram. Other stuff usually gets fried before the ram though. Your issue is normally typical from MSI and the -5 line is the one to blame on those boards. What happens if you put back the Geil? Have you reset the cmos before putting in the OCZ?
    yup..ive reset cmos...put back the geil...and its always the same problem...that it just turns on automatically and doesnt give me any beeps... the power button has no power over it (i love the pun) but for no matter how long i hold it it doesnt shuit down...regardless of whether or not it is in the case..i also changed psus same deal...and cleared cmos...i also took the chip out...and it still automatically turned on...like the psu fans spun around and such
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Sounds like you've got a case short.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Sounds like you've got a case short.
    buut the damn thing was running in the same case for like years without me switching anything around..are u saying the case caused the initial short..cuz it was still shorted out after i took it outside the caseand put it on a flat, non conductive surface (wood and a cardoard box)