Comp crashes after bios loading, inf loop

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Yesterday my computer was running perfectly well. No signs of trouble. I shut it down since I can't hibernate since it just freezes when I start up. But I can live with that and my computer ran fine even with that hibernation glitch. So after shutting down my computer last night I came back today after lunch turned it on and it would load up the bios fine than it'd go into a brief screen where I can push f8 to go into that menu. After that windows xp home edition should load. But the screen goes black than the computer crashes and restarts. I than tried again, and again, ect. So than I tried to run safe mode. It just crashed again. All the options in the f8 menu just crash as would normal start up. That includes the stop automatic restart after error. I tried to go into my recovery console and follow a tutorial posted on microsofts site about deleteing and replacing my C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder. No good. I can't boot cds or I can't figure out how to. Help please I'm totally lost.

Computer Specs.

MotherBoard : Asus A8N-VM CSM
Prosser : AMD 64 3500+ prosser
Hard Drive : 130 gb
Grapics Card : Geforce 6150 intergrated

I think thats all.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm currently downloading your motherboard's manual, and will get back with you as to precisely how you set up your computer to boot from CD. Check back with this thread in about 30 minutes (By 8:04 PM EDT). I'll have an answer, and can walk you through the Windows Recovery Console if need be.

//EDIT:

Please turn to page 2-32 of your manual for example images. Enter your BIOS by pressing Delete or F1 rapidly when your PC is turning on. Navigate to the "BOOT" menu in your BIOS, and set the "1st Boot Device" to your CD or DVD-ROM, then press F10 to save the changes and exit the BIOS.

Your computer should now boot from CD.
  • edited August 2006
    Yes I know that but when I put a cd in it seems to load but than starts desplaying what I belive is the cd drives info. I do happen to have burned a copy of windows xp 64 bit before the problem so I'm trying to get that to work. I'll try and get a screen shot of what my comp says with the cd in the drive.

Edit:

I just noticed my computer thinks I have an A: drive. Which if I did, would be a floppy drive. So that might be the reason why my cds won't boot on start up. Could it be I've crossed a wire somewhere?
  • edited August 2006
    Sorry about the double post but it seem's no one is going to give this thread a look again if I don't. The problem seems to be now that I don't have the drivers for my dvd and cd drives. So I have no idea what to do. I can't install xp if i don't have working drives.
    edited August 2006
    Most computer have the floppy disk controller enabled by default, which makes a PC say you have an A: at the BIOS even if you don't.

What do you mean "Don't have the drivers?" DOS doesn't need drivers for CD support, and the Windows boot CDs come with then necessary files to read off of a CD-ROM.

Does the CD not even boot?
  • edited August 2006
    The cd doesn't boot but instead it starts doing something else. Something about drivers. After anwsering Y to all the set up I end up with it saying Would you like to use Nrestore. If I say yes it says it can't find it and than goes into a basic command dos. And it does the same if I say no
    edited August 2006
    Okay, nrestore is a Nero application used for decompressing nero back-it-up files. Are you positive your BIOS is configured to boot from CD, and by "Burned" Windows 64, are you sure the CD is even bootable? Is it even a legal disc (No offence intended)?
  • edited August 2006
    Well I never got a windows cd with my computer since its OEM. So no it's not "legal" but I did technically buy it originally so. And is there a speacil way to make a cd bootable when burning with nero. I thought just having the burn type as CD-boot seemed proper
    edited August 2006
    Okay, do you have a CD image of that windows CD? Or is it just a bunch of files on your hard disk? It sounds like the CD just isn't burned right.
  • edited August 2006
    I have the iso yes.
    edited August 2006
    Open nero, and go to "RECORDER >> BURN IMAGE."

I suspect you just dragged and dropped the ISO on "cd boot" mode, which means there's just a file sitting on the disc. :) The burn image tool will decompress the contents of the ISO into a regular data CD with a bootable portion. It'll work now.
  • edited August 2006
    Okay good news. I got the cd to boot. I'm installing it now. Hopefully this will fix my computer. Thanks for all the help Thrax.
    edited August 2006
    :) Glad I could. I'll pop back into this thread if anything else comes up.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2006
    What a guy.