No Video Output

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey,

I just got all new PC parts today, however, there is a major problem with the graphics. Whenever I power up the PC, all the fans start spinning, and you can hear some harddrive access. However, there is no video output, and I can assume it is not POSTing. I have tried removing one stick of ram, resetting and BIOS, and plugging in the PC speaker to listen for any error codes. However, I can't seem to identify the problem. I believe it's an underpowered PSU, but I wanted some external advice before I spend even more money.

Here are the system specs:
450W PSU
e6600 Core 2 Duo
eVGA 256MB 7600GT graphics
2*http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227030 for ram
and a gigabyte motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128017)

Would the PSU be the problem here, or could something else be wrong? Thanks!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    The PSU is a distinct possibility, unfortunately the only sure way to check it is to upgrade to a more powerful model. What does it say on the label of the PSU regarding Amperage for the 3.3V+, 5V+, and 12V+ rails?

Also, did you attach the extra power connecters to the MB and the Video Card (if applicable)?
  • edited August 2006
    Here is what the PSU says about the amperages.

+3.3 = 28A
    +5 = 45A
    +12 = 18A
    edited August 2006
    jakep wrote:
    Here is what the PSU says about the amperages...
    Those don't look too bad, assuming you're actually getting the juice specified on the label.

What do the voltage readings look like?

Did you check that everything which needs a power connectore has one? If you have an old video card laying around you might try that for troubleshooting purposes. :)
  • edited August 2006
    I did some further testing and called Gigabyte as well. After running the PC with just the CPU plugged in, there were no beeps from the PC speaker at all. We concluded it was a dead motherboard and it has been sent in as DOA.

Thanks for your help with the power supply though. I hope it doesn't become an issue later when the motherboard gets replaced.
    edited August 2006
    Yeah... just about all of us have had a DOA part before. Good luck with the replacement. I'd say that if your PSU is a quality brand and supplies the power it's rated at, you will probably be just fine. :)