19" widescreen goodness

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Ohhh yah baby got a 19" widescreen flatpanel monitor yesterday for my B-day (which is thurs.)!!!!:Rocker:

My in-laws picked it up for my wife from best buy for $159.00!!!! they now have it listed for $249.00!!!! it was one of those only 4 per store suck ya in and make ya spend more $$$$ deals.:werr:

Me likes it, no issues with gaming except those games that don't offer widescreen resolutions. It does have about 4 dead pixles, but totaly not a big deal unless you are REALLY looking for them on a black screen.

One question though. I am using the D-Sub mini 15 pin connection, but is it worth getting a DVI-D cable as my graphics card uses that connection as well?

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hey Zun! Happy Birthday early bud! Whooo Hooo! Nice monitor! Congrats.
    I would definitely get the DVI-D cable. You'll notice quite a difference.
    With the D-Sub your only getting standard VGA output and not Digital Video output.
    My widescreen has both too.
    I have 2 pc's connected to mine when I want to switch between my standard older vga card pc and my DVI video card pc. It makes it as easy as pushing the button to switch over to the other system.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Happy B-day :) .... DVI always looks better!
  • edited August 2006
    It's a little light on contrast (500:1). How does black look?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Hey Zun! Happy Birthday early bud! Whooo Hooo! Nice monitor! Congrats.
    I would definitely get the DVI-D cable. You'll notice quite a difference.
    With the D-Sub your only getting standard VGA output and not Digital Video output.
    My widescreen has both too.
    I have 2 pc's connected to mine when I want to switch between my standard older vga card pc and my DVI video card pc. It makes it as easy as pushing the button to switch over to the other system.

Thanks Hawk!!!:thumbsup:
    TheSmJ wrote:
    It's a little light on contrast (500:1). How does black look?
    looks good / black to me. Why, can that be a problem?
  • edited August 2006
    On LCD monitors the backlight can bleed through the LCD, so blacks look grey. They all do it to some extent, just some do it more than others.
    edited August 2006
    One more question. I have notied there are many different types/qualities of dvi cables, any reason why this one would not work? Link Depot DVI-D male to DVI-D male dual link Cable

I know my moniter states it has a DVI-D port, but My graphics card manufacturer does not state exactly what connection it has other then DVI. how do I know if its DVI-D or DVI-I? Does it matter?

According to this...

5. What is the difference between DVI-I vs. DVI-D?

These are the two most confusing digital connectors available. DVI-D allows for digital only signal transmission. However, DVI-I allows for digital or analog signals to pass over this cable/connector. You could have a VGA connector on one end of a cable and a DVI-I connector on the other and transmit an analog signal to the display. You could also have a DVI-I or DVI-D connector on one end and transmit a digital signal. The DVI-D male connector will connect/transmit with a DVI-I female. The DVI-D female connector will not connect/transmit with the DVI-I male. Contact us if you have further questions about these connectors.

.....I should be fine as the cable is male and the card and the monitor are female.... right? :crazy:
  • edited August 2006
    Zuntar,

You'll get a cleaner picture with a digital hookup (DVI). I'm running a 18 inch flat panel, had it connected via D-Sub and was getting slight interference.

Hooked it up via DVI and it's rock solid.
    edited August 2006
    bump.gif
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yes, Thay's the right one you have a newegg link to Zun.
    DVI-D will give you the digital signal..
    You don't need the other- DVI-I.
    edited August 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Yes, Thay's the right one you have a newegg link to Zun.
    DVI-D will give you the digital signal..
    You don't need the other- DVI-I.

Thanks Hawk!!!! I just wanted a second opinion before I hit the "buy" button.:cool: