Will I run into CPU limitations?

indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I am looking to upgrade my video card sometime in the near future, I am running a AMD64 3000+ Venice clocked at 2.5GHz...

Any idea as to what the most powerful card I can get before I hit a barrier w/ my processing power? I'd like to avoid replacing my processor for now.

Would it be reasonable to get a videocard that is in a different league as my CPU?...so that I can upgrade my CPU later and have some headroom then?

I guess what I want to know is...is there a chart/formula to determine when CPU limitation will start to show?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I think it it highly unlikely that you will see hugely noticeable differences no matter what video card you get. CPU limitations only appear in certain games under certain conditions. Right now, CPU is a factor, but the best games out there (such as Oblivion) will bring any video card to its knees. CPU is a factor, but not nearly as much as video. I woulnd't worry about upgrading to even today's most powerful video cards right now - you won't bottleneck yourself to any serious degree with the A64 CPU.