What happens if we connect a UPS to anothe UPS?

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi!,

Is there someone who have tried connecting two UPS with each other.......it would be interesting if it really increase the power backup time.

I will highly appreciate if you all please share your experiences and view on this.

:thumbsup:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    candyboy97 wrote:
    Hi!,

Is there someone who have tried connecting two UPS with each other.......it would be interesting if it really increase the power backup time.

I will highly appreciate if you all please share your experiences and view on this.

:thumbsup:

http://www.blindedbytech.com/2006/03/01/can-you-chain-two-upses-together-no/
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Thrax is right. You really shouldn't even plug a UPS into a surge suppressor.

UPS depends on a clean safety ground to function properly and the surge protector messes that up when it tries to cut a surge to ground.

UPS straight to wall. Anything else is a bad thing.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    i have a UPS to the wall and a monster sound Strip bar coming off that! Bad or no?
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Strip into UPS is okay, but it won't surge protect so you can replace it with a regular power strip and use it somewhere else were you can use the surge protector.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Good INFO!! I'm gonna unplug my UPS from my surge when I get home :P I only did it becuase I needed the extra plugs hehe
  • edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:

Thank you all...the article was really helpful.

I was actually planning to implement that b/c i thought it will increase the power backup time.......it would have been embarrassing in the office if i would have implemented and someone would have pointed to that article.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    One way to use two UPS for more backup time is to divide your load.
    Computer into one and periferals into another.
    Everything that connects to my computer is plugged into a UPS.