2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    And are they terribly popular?

No. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well Bikini Karate Babes was huge! does that count?

okay we are way off topic now...

Back to PS3 and Folding on the Cell CPU's
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2006
    Have you noticed the price for PC games lately? Most are hitting the shelves at $59.99. I can see the PS3 being my next PC for the most part. I can go online, set up file sharing, and have the biggest freaking monitor of all times. And even with the cost of a 42"-50" Plasma TV, the PS3 and 5 games, I will still get out cheaper than a new High-End gaming PC. Which lacks games and a nice monitor, which will never even be close to 42" or 50" big for under $3000.

Sure people are saying "I won't be able to buy that it is to expensive etc... Etc...” well I have am a guy who saves his pennies to buy the things he wants or works those crap extra jobs to put away for the things I really want, and if cost is an issue than buy a Wii. Gaming on a $350 PC would drive me nuts... Now I do understand some people are in situations where pennies they save go to bills, my view on that is just get what you can buy and enjoy life, it can always get better.

Everyone has a hobby, mine is just High-Def gaming and super computing... I sure do hate exspensive hobbies... but they are so much fun :)

who says you need a high end computer to fold? And you could get one hell of a computer for the cost of a ps3, a high end plasma tv, and 5 games. Thats like $4000 right there.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited August 2006
    edited August 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    who says you need a high end computer to fold? And you could get one hell of a computer for the cost of a ps3, a high end plasma tv, and 5 games. Thats like $4000 right there.

Wrong! for a 42" Plasma and a PS3 and 5 games is about $2400.00 give or take depending opn sales and coupons.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    Wrong! for a 42" Plasma and a PS3 and 5 games is about $2400.00 give or take depending opn sales and coupons.

What kind of low end piece of **** plasma are we talking about though? Your previous comment about a screen for a PS3 being bigger for cheaper than a screen for a PC is an apples/oranges comparison. A cheap 42'' plasma to run a PS3 on has nowhere near the resolution of an LCD screen of similar price for a PC. Consequently games will look more vibrant and crisp on the smaller LCD (say 24'') vs. a low end 42'' plasma. I don't see how they compare.

~FA
    edited August 2006
    I am talking lets say a Dell 42" plasma meets the requirments of HDMI and 1080 output. So by all mean's the screen would be crisper and more clear than any LCD on the market. If you saw any Plasma that supports HD you would know how much more crisp it is... regardless of higher resoultions... as all the PS3 games will be made to the HD format and to scale ot the lower formats.
    edited August 2006
    This is a cheap plasma TV - http://shopmiracle.stores.yahoo.net/panasonic426u.html = 4000:1 contrast ratio

This is a nice step up from cheap -
    http://www.prestigecamera.com/product.asp?id=snfwd42pv1b&l=Nextag = 10,000:1 contrast ratio

Better Step up -
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/3X_plasma42?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs - 10,000:1 contrast ratio
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2006
    Plasma sucks compared to LCD. Given a choice between a 24" LCD or a 42" plasma I'd go for the LCD every time, the image quality is much better.

Also, the article says nothing about the F@H team having a PS3 to test on, in fact somewhere in there it says they're developing the PS3 client using 'software from sony' which suggests they're developing on a development kit of some kind, or an emulator rather than an actual PS3.
    edited August 2006
    yea but LCD's can only go so big before they look like crap. After that I'd go to DLP over plasma. DLP technology has improved a ton over the past couple years and I think they look alot clearer and sharper. Just my opinion
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    yea but LCD's can only go so big before they look like crap. After that I'd go to DLP over plasma. DLP technology has improved a ton over the past couple years and I think they look alot clearer and sharper. Just my opinion

That's about to change. Plasma is being viewed as going the way of the dodo by the big names in the HDTV industry -- shoddy burnin problems, gas recharges, weight and size have all contributed towards lackluster market uptake. Even more recently, some major company has released an LCD that's on par with the biggest plasmas.

Most display mfgrs. are redirecting their R&D and production budgets towards LCD and increased LCD clarity.. Oh, did I mention they're cheaper?
    edited August 2006
    Yeah but those LCD's cost 5 times as much currently if not more...
    edited August 2006
    I'd take an LCD over plasma any day.
    edited August 2006
    From seeing Plasma's in the stores next to an LCD. I think I will stick with my so called dying Plasma. They look so much more crisp... especially with HDMI.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited August 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I'd take an LCD over plasma any day.

i agree 100% ilo 26" HDTV im only at 720p but still i just love my LCD!
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    SoLo wrote:
    i agree 100% ilo 26" HDTV im only at 720p but still i just love my LCD!

I have the exact same LCD hooked up to SM25, it's an awesome screen for the price.

LCDs > Plasma

~FA
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    There's no Plasma under $6000 that can give you true 1080 out. You need a native resolution at 1900X1200 for true hdtv unless it's downscaled by the player or upscaled by the plasma which really sinks the quality. I just saw the last LOTR movie on a native 1900X1200 lcd and i have never seen anything like it. Jawdropping. The movie is big though..26GB.