No display on Conroe system

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys
Earlier this week I posted a thread stating that a friend of mine was building a conroe system. Well, we put it all together, and when we booted it up, the monitor would not display anything.
To make a long story short, here is what we tried:
Tried another, more generic monitor
Put the video card in another computer, and it worked
Reset the cmos by taking out the battery and by removing the jumper
Tried one stick of ram at a time.
Reset the cpu, video card, and ram many times
Took the whole thing apart and put it back together

Nothing worked, so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas.
It's the 6400 conroe on the intel dp965lt

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited August 2006
    One thing I have learned building computers is, assemble the parts on the bench first, with the mobo on the mobo box, to rule out any shorting of power back to the case. Once you have it posting or after installing the OS, then assemble it in the case.

Datsun 1600
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    does it post? are there any beeps at all?

insure that the power connector is on securely, are the fans and/or drives spinning up? Are there any indications of life? Make sure that the power switch lead is hooked up correctly on the mobo.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited August 2006
    There is no display at all, so if it does post, I can't tell.
    The owner of this computer thinks that he hears a beep, but I never checked.
    The fans all spin, and it sounds like the hard drive is spinning as well.
    All of the leds on the mobo light up, and there is plenty of sign of life, just no display.
    Everybody I talked to said that it sounds like a bad mobo, so we're returning it.
    I'm very disappointed that newegg is making us pay for the shipping, but it can't be helped.
    I'll let you all know in about a week if the new mobo works.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm fairly sure it's the ram actually. What ram is it?
    edited August 2006
    I'm fairly sure it's the ram actually. What ram is it?

2 x 512 ocz stuff

I hope it's not the ram x_x
    edited August 2006
    I've been looking around at reviews, and it seems that a lot of people are having trouble with ocz ram in conroe mobos. :doh:

The budjet was $900, and I already have this guy pushing $1000 with the mobo..and now it might be the ram... I fail :aol:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2006
    2 x 512 ocz stuff

I hope it's not the ram x_x

I hope that it is the ram. Anything else would be a big pain in the ass to replace.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I've been looking around at reviews, and it seems that a lot of people are having trouble with ocz ram in conroe mobos. :doh:

The budjet was $900, and I already have this guy pushing $1000 with the mobo..and now it might be the ram... I fail :aol:

It's because OCZ products are very stringently-produced, and they demand precision from motherboard manufacturers in BIOS production in regards to memory handling, which they have been traditionally very lazy at. This is the situation as I understand it.
    edited August 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I hope that it is the ram. Anything else would be a big pain in the ass to replace.

You mean like the mobo we already pulled out and are replacing as soon as we get one? :doh:

Speaking of which, do you think it might be possible that there is a mobo out there that will work with the ram we have? That would be awesome if there was. :smiles:
    edited September 2006
    Well, I ordered the new mobo, the gigabyte 965p-s3, and the system is running fine now, didn't even have to update the bios :)
    Time to benchmark it and see what the conroe can do :headbange

Thanks for the help
    :respect: sm