Computer for Work

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Okay,

The place I work has one pc, and one mac, the pc is an athlon XP 2000+, it is well...you know. The problem with it is that the power supply, and the drives are starting to go out.

I told them, that it would be more economical to just purchase a new computer than to keep spending money on it. Here is what I need:

It is mainly used to open office documents. and a few other things. It isnt real intensively used.

I was thinking like an Athlon 3800? Im not sure, the predicament is this, I am thinking that the budget is around $300-$400, now, the current computer is the opposite of legitmate. The kid that worked their before me, put an illegal copy of XP on it, and didnt even clean up his tracks. He also put just about everything from adobe on it, and a lot of other illegal stuff. And if this was someones personal computer, I wouldnt care, but this is for a business, and I explained that they could get in big trouble.

So basically, I am just need it to be legitimate. I can get Win XP Pro from a friend who is a reseller for around $90. So that kills 1/4 of my budget right there.

Things I need are:

Mobo, CPU, PSU, Case, Ram, DVD/CD burner, HDD, Floppy, and gpu. Im not too sure on the need of a video card. I mean, it would run better, but im not sure on how it is gonna affect the price.

I'm thinking that the Athlon 64 3200 is gonna end up being my choice. but I want to see what you all can work up.

The mobo doesnt need to be overclocking material, because I wont be doing that. It just needs to be dependable. The hard drive doesnt need to be very big at all, the cheaper the better. they have an 80gig in the mac, and are only using 20 of it, which is where most of the stuff is stored on. So space is not an issue.

Ram, probably 512 is the pick, although, Id like to get them 1 gig. as far as the case goes, im getting the cheapest case that I can find that has some decency in its design. Floppy and opticals I can take care of. What do you all think?

should I go with another processor, maybe even jump camps?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    $300 for all that?

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    heh yeh, I know.

I was thinking:

3200: $100
    Cheap but decent moboL $60
    Ram: $60
    HardDrive:$80
    Case:$30

Realistic/Plausible?

Im going to talk to her and she if she gives me a definate number. they dont really use it for anything hardcore, and a 3200 would be so much better than their 2000, and right now, they onle have 256mb or ram. so, it would be a nice upgrade for them, even though I myself wouldnt consider buying it. The kid that sold it to them really manigled them, he did a horrible job of putting it together aside from using crapy parts. The power supply right now(ah crap, forgot about the psu...) is so underpowered, that when the computer starts, all of the fans go full speed, then they sag down to like 1/2 speed for a second, then go back up, you can hear everything do it, even the hdd and opticals. To get it to boot, you have to get everything hot, then restart it really quick, otherwise it wont post.
  • edited August 2006
    Can't beat the OEMs for corporate machines. Get a Dell with an onsite support contract.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Exactly. Just get a dell. You will thank us in the long run, when something goes wrong and you just... call them.. and they just ... fix it.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    yeh, but will it be affordable? I've only know the dells to be cheap when you buy in voume. Your right though, I'd rather it be nmp when something goes wrong with it. I'll look at the dells and see what I can find that will fit in their budget.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006