To upgrade or not to upgrade?

ValveFloatValveFloat SLC, UT
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Here's my system:

Athlon (thunderbird) 1.2Ghz
512MB PC2100 DDR
Asus A7N8X MB

Hds'....etc,

I know I have a lot of headroom with my motherboard and, and I've been playing with the idea of an upgrade. I'd like to keep cost to an absolute minimum. I mostly need a new case, but I thought that if I could find a cheap XP+ and another gig or so of memory that I'd enjoy the boost (and maybe fold a little faster too...)

Anyhow, can anybody explain to me why I should or should not explore an upgrade right now? The cost/performance increase is important to me and if it would be more logical to just buy a new board/cpu/memory then I'll hold off until that is financially feasable.

Suggestions of setups and where to purchase the stuff i'd need would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    With the prices of Mobo's and CPU's you can pick up a better performing Intel setup instead of a XP setup for under $80 bucks...
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    I agree with Sledge on this one.

Unless you have a buddy willing to give you the parts, IMO it's not worth it. I just went through the same decision process when my wifes' XP board died.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It does seem to make sense to go ahead and just build a new system, if you are finding that your current system no longer meets your needs. If it's doing just fine for you, though, why even upgrade at all?
  • ValveFloatValveFloat SLC, UT
    edited August 2006
    It does meet my needs just fine....which is why I was hoping to accomplish a change for minimal cash. I guess I just want it to fold better...:bigggrin: