Unmountable boot volume

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I have this error (unmountable boot volume) on my dell inspiron 1100. I have somthing called a Dell installation disk that has windows XP reinstall. I set my computer to hit the cd drive first. The computer procedes to start from the cd drive 20 -30 seconds after booting from the dell disk my cd drive makes a rattling noise like it is really really trying to find information on the disk...then I get "hard error" or somthing. So I go and buy some off brand sytem tool disk. ( believe it is called iolo system toolbox). I boot from the system tool disk...it starts no problem with bootup. It scans my HD and boot drive etc. and says there is no errors. I am assuming since the system toolbox didn't find any problems it didn't give me the option to fix anything. I still cannot boot my drive. I know that my cd drive works becuase the iolo disk runs ok from it but the dell install cd doesn't. Do I need a full windows XP disk to startup from? Is this Dell disk a reinstall disk only and not a recovery disk?

Scratching my head.