Autochk.exe not found.

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Having trouble with the dreaded unmountable boot volume. I can get to the recovery console and as far as the "chkdsk /r" command, but from there it cannot locate autochk.exe. I don't have the re-install cd, so I can't get it there and I'm really out of options here. I have posted this problem on other tech boards, but I haven't even received a reply. Hopefully this place is different. :)

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited August 2006
    Khuzud wrote:
    Having trouble with the dreaded unmountable boot volume. I can get to the recovery console and as far as the "chkdsk /r" command, but from there it cannot locate autochk.exe. I don't have the re-install cd, so I can't get it there and I'm really out of options here. I have posted this problem on other tech boards, but I haven't even received a reply. Hopefully this place is different. :)
    I had this problem when I built my current PC. Did you mess with the wires at all? Or did you open the case and mess with anything? Or maybe you just built it? Whatever you did, do what the others post first, but if nothing else works, check you drive(s). If you only have 1 drive, make sure it's on master, and not slave, because that's what gave me this error. If you have more than one drive on the same IDE, make sure the jumpers are set so one is slave and one is master, and if you have them on different cables, then make sure they're both set to master. Someone correct me if I made a mistake anywhere. :cheers:
  • edited August 2006
    V|P wrote:
    I had this problem when I built my current PC. Did you mess with the wires at all? Or did you open the case and mess with anything? Or maybe you just built it? Whatever you did, do what the others post first, but if nothing else works, check you drive(s). If you only have 1 drive, make sure it's on master, and not slave, because that's what gave me this error. If you have more than one drive on the same IDE, make sure the jumpers are set so one is slave and one is master, and if you have them on different cables, then make sure they're both set to master. Someone correct me if I made a mistake anywhere. :cheers:

Nope. I didn't mess with anything. The cause, I believe, is that the pc was unplugged while it was running. I heard that that sometimes that can be one of the reans for the ubv.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Your getting the unmountable boot volume error most likely because your boot.ini has been corrupted from improper shutdown.
    Any and all steps taken here are at your own risk because it's working with & resetting your bios settings.
    You'll need to make a bootable cd.
    Get the pebuilder3110a.exe on this page... It's the top one on the download list... http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=pebuilder3110a.exe
    Burn it to a cd.
    Start your pc, put the cd in, hold delete key to get into bios, Set your bios to boot cd first and save the setting and let it start... Once the cd boots to DOS Prompt, then you can use the command chkdsk c: /f
    That should fix the boot.ini.
    Once the scan is complete then remove the cd, reboot the computer, hold delete key to bios setup again, reset boot order back to your hard drive boot first, save settings and let it start up & boot into windows.
    Please post back and let us know if this cures the problem.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Khuzud wrote:

Do you have a Windows XP CD? If so, issue these commands in sequence at the Windows Recovery Console (Hit "R" when prompted to do so to access this):

cd ..
    attrib -h-r-s boot.ini
    del boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild (Identifier = Microsoft Windows XP / Load option = /fastdetect )
    chkdsk /r
    attrib +h+r+s boot.ini
    fixboot
    fixmbr
    exit
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hehehe,
    autochckml5.jpg

That's why I was telling him to make a bootdisk cd.
    And then I was going to give him the rest of the commands if needed.
    Was just doing it one at a time so we didn't get confused or do more than we needed to.
    He stated that the pc was unplugged while running, which in turn tells me that the boot.ini was corrupted.
    I also noticed he wasn't getting any help with this, so I thought I'd help.
    Anyway, If he makes a bootdisk, he can follow your directions for repair.

KZ, Your in good hands with Thrax. He'll get you straightened out.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    OH, no big deal then.

If you have a floppy drive on your computer, you can use the Windows XP Boot Disks to access the recovery console.

More often than not, the unmountable_boot_volume error is not a boot.ini issue, but rather a corrupted master boot record.