Leave my monitor on all the time or not?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I've had my computers running all the time for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems. I think it's better for the electronics and hard drives to do that. I read a lot of debate on the topic when I first started doing it.

What about monitors? I have a 19" CRT Envision flatscreen that I got very cheaply last year. I shut it off when not using the computer and start it back up. It looks and sounds like it takes a good power surge to get most CRT monitors going.

My screensaver is the standard "Windows XP" logo that bounces around the screen slowly on a black background.

So should I leave the monitor turned on all the time or shut it off when not in use? How is the power consumption if I do this, and is there a different answer for CRT and LCD monitors?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It's a good idea to set your monitor to power down when inactive for 20-30 minutes, however if you're not going to be using it for more than an hour, just turn it off.

Leaving a monitor on and running for 8 hours, not in an EnergySTAR "Amber light" state, consumes enough power to microwave six four minute dinners.. You'll save money in the long run, and do so safely, by just turning things off.

Leaving a computer up and running is fine, but they have switches because they're made to be turned on and off (Approx. 5 on/off cycles a day); due to technological advancements, it doesn't matter if you leave it on or turn it off. And if your PC breaks because you powered it on, you were up **** creek to begin with.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    CRT's are annoying to turn on and off... but my LCD turns in like a split second. So whenever I leave it I just turn it off.
  • edited August 2006
    I have my monitors turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity, barring movies or television.