problem playing dvd's

jimbo1406jimbo1406 Maine
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I just got a pretty old laptop, a dell inspiron 5100, and I can't play dvd's on it. Windows media player 11, gives me the encountered a problem and must shutdown box, interactual says i need to check my graphics driver or something like that to see if it supports the latest active x controls. it has an ati 5600 card in it, but i don't know what to do. any suggestions guys

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Update to DX9.
    Update your video drivers.
    Ditch WMP11 because it's a beta and acts like one.
    Try a copy of Media Player Classic
  • jimbo1406jimbo1406 Maine
    edited August 2006
    Thanx man. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll give it a whirl. So I can go back to another WMP? Because I really don't like the WMP11 anyways. I'll get back later, and let you know.

SHORT-MEDIA IS SIMPLY THE BEST, ANY PROBLEM CAN BE SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, the WMP11 beta has an uninstaller that will revert back to WMP10. WMP10 can have a DVD codec provided to it for free - no need to buy one like MS wants you to.
    edited August 2006
    so do i need to download the codec for wmp 10 or is it in there
    edited August 2006
    jimbo1406 wrote:
    so do i need to download the codec for wmp 10 or is it in there

you'll need to download it. I can point you in the right direction when we have everything else sorted out, first.
    edited August 2006
    ok so i had some major problems, ant thrax helped me using aim, all set , thanx guys, also wmp11 sux. thanx thrax
    edited August 2006
    Wow, thrax thanx for the firefox recomendation, i was using ie7, but firefox blows it out of the water, and is a lot safer i hear

I love Short Media Forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited August 2006
    :) Glad we could get your DVDs and browser security up to snuff.