Best AGP Video Card Made?

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I just want to know what the best AGP video made was before they phased out. I am looking at Geforce 7800GS, never went with geforce but who knows?

I am planning to buy and have a budget of at least 300. Just want some of your guys opinions

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I wouldn’t buy one. The extra money you would have to spend for an obsolete card just doesn’t make it worthwhile.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I could see going with a 7600GS or a X1600pro.
    In my book if you are looking to go over $150 you need to seriously think about the rest of the system.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I have a XFX 7800 GS, and love it!!!!11!!

HOWEVER, I had just replaced my mobo when my graphics card died, and knew i wasn't going to have the money to upgrade to 939 or am2, so I went for it. If you can upgrade your system, then do it First! If you can't, then it's not a bad option as long as you can deal with the fact that it will be harded to warrent an upgrade for a long time. My 2 cents.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited August 2006
    I'm getting a 7800GS next week (God willing) to replace my 9800P. I was wondering what all the noise was coming out of my machine and it's the lil iceberq4 fan... it's dying. The 9800P is still good, I just need to replace the fan and I'll keep it around for a spare, or for a folding rig. I hear nothing but good things things about the 7800GS. I can expect to almost double my current framerates. I can't afford to go to PCI-E yet and besides, I didn't pay a thing for the card, it was an addon for a job I did. (Thx Mat!!!!!) :mullet:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    7800GS is the best as of now, and I think Nvidia is pushing out a 7900GS which will trump the 7800 :)
  • edited August 2006
    Depending on what CPU's you guys are using you should be able to find a PCI-E equivalent (or something very close) for your current motherboard.

The money you save on buying a PCI-E card and not to mention the better performance/value would make it worthwhile.

I recently upgraded a socket 754 3000+ that was running with an AGP 6800GT to a PCI-E board and 1900XT for less than the price of an AGP 7800.

Ended up being cheaper, running Oblivion so much better and means I have a half decent graphics card when I go for the new system before the end of the year.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well DogSoldier's GPU is coming at a very small price to him :) so in his case he is just lucky :)
    edited August 2006
    I'll say this much as well; I recently built a rig for a friend it was....

Athlon X2 4200+, A8N-SLI NF4 mobo , 2Gb OCZ EL DDR Platinum ram, and an XFX 7600GT graphics card.

My rig beat his in 3dmark 05 and in 06. My rig specs are in sig. Socket 754's are not obsolete.
    edited August 2006
    Wow, I expected arguments.:nudge:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Socket 754 machines are obsolete. Your machine won for two reasons:

1. 3DMark is not an SMP-aware program, which means you had his CPU beat by more than 400MHz. He had just one 2.2GHz core working for 3DMark.

2. Your video card is significantly faster than his is. His was a budget video card no faster than a 9700 Pro, yours is designed to be three generations faster.

Socket 754 is obsolete because it's not natively PCI-Express, it's now strictly a Sempron platform, and no further development will be done on chipsets for it. It's deader than a doornail for anyone other than budget-conscious people today.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    i concur with doctah thrax
    edited August 2006
    Now THAT'S what I was waiting for!!!! :crazy:

I know "doctah thrax" is essentially right! I would never recommend to anyone to build a 754 platform pc. However not every 754 is useless for today's environment, and by no means are they POS's.

They are only dead as far as "upgradeability".;)

rapture-IC wrote:

I recently upgraded a socket 754 3000+ that was running with an AGP 6800GT to a PCI-E board and 1900XT for less than the price of an AGP 7800.

Ended up being cheaper, running Oblivion so much better and means I have a half decent graphics card when I go for the new system before the end of the year.

Can you explain more please! A 1900XT is more then a 7800GS. :confused:
  • edited August 2006
    Well in fairness I was looking at the 512MB 7900 on a 7800 AGP board cards :) at the time they were close to £300
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited August 2006
    I bought the BFG Geforce7800, hows XFX? i dont know the comparision in companies if that makes a difference with the card
    edited August 2006
    Bubbleman wrote:
    I bought the BFG Geforce7800, hows XFX? i dont know the comparision in companies if that makes a difference with the card
    Not much different, the XFX models are a little higher OCed thats all.:cool:
    edited August 2006
    ahhh I guess i can just overclock mine to the same as XFX?
    edited August 2006
    also read my geforce question thread, those answers i need could help me a great deal
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    I would never recommend to anyone to build a 754 platform pc. However not every 754 is useless for today's environment, and by no means are they POS's

They are only dead as far as "upgradeability"

I agree, Zuntar.. 754 is still a very capable platform with a decent chip in it. Not a whole lot slower than single-core 939 for the most part. Not a good choice for a new machine as you mentioned, but still very capable.