DFI Expert NF4 vs. Sapphire PI-A9RX480

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I must say, as much as I'd love to drop everything and go for one of the new killer 775 conroes, I'd have to buy a new board, new memory and a new CPU... which is not going to happen, since I just bought an X2 in May.

I've only had one gripe with my DFI NF4 Ultra-D. Its an awesome board, and does everything I could ever want it to.. but the socket position bends the heck out of my vapochill evaporator hose. Not enough of a reason to buy a new board, but I also have a 939 Opteron collecting dust--I'd like to remove the Ultra-D from my main rig, and build up my Opteron again.

As a benefit of Conroe.. there are some SWEET 939 deals out there right now. I browsed around some for-sale forums looking for a DFI Expert SLI-DR, and found one for a steal at only $110, only $75 after applying some paypal credit I had! (They are still selling for $220 CDN in stores around here). The socket position will make it easier to mount the evaporator, and the board seems a little easier to tweak with 4 dimms. To make matters worse, I came across another deal I couldn't refuse--A Sapphire Pure Innovation RX480 mainboard for only $65. How the heck am I supposed to say no to that. :eek3: omg, stop the deal train..

Anyhow, I have two sweet 939 boards heading my way, and I just wanted to hear your opinion on which I should use--and why.. I'm most likely going to try both of them out, so I'm just curious to see your thoughts..

Some facts:
I do not run SLI graphics cards (and there is a slim chance that I ever will)
I do use onboard sound.
I run 4x512MB TCCD dimms, and generally do a lot of CPU and memory tweaking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20988&stc=1&d=1156739471attachment.php?attachmentid=20989&stc=1&d=1156739471

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    As far as overclocking goes, Expert wins. Easily. Put the "Pure" into a HTPC box. You'll get good S939 cpu's for nothing these days. I also see that the socket is rotated 90 degrees on the Sapphire.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I agree w/ the swede ...unless you swap the pure for an at832.