Game locks up periodically with Raptor

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited September 2006 in Hardware
I play WoW, pretty much the only thing I use my desktop for, and sometimes it will lock up for like 5-10 seconds or so I would guess where I cannot move or do anything. This problem started when I got my 74gb Raptor.

I havent done a Defrag or anything else yet but was just wondering if anyone has had any short lock ups like this before.

It also seems to make more noise than my WD 80gb SEs or the other Maxtor 80gb HDD that I used to have. I almost wonder if some segments are bad or something.

I would like to have another in Raid because its faster but not if it is going to do this crap.

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    There may be a problem with the SATA interface. Many have problems with the SATA drives abruptly stopping while data is being accessed. The issue is usually resolved with replacing the SATA card, usually from integrated to offboard (promise). Others have suggested disabling NCQ, reseating the SATA data cables, swapping drives, etc. I have seen more issues resolved using the former method, as opposed to the latter.

Do me a favor and check the event log for errors and post them here. I will the be able to confirm the problem. It may also tell us of the HD is experiencing problems due to its own failure, which tends to happen with the Raptors as with any high performance HD.