Why is CPU only running at 50%

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
I got a new PC at work today. I have no control over the specs as it's ordered by our IT guy. It's a P4 3GHz. The first thing I did before loading any of my usual software is load the no nonsense FAH console:)

I configured it the standard way, did not ask it to use only a portion of the cpu and yet it uses exactly 50%. I'm pretty sure it's not a dual core, so I would like to know why else it may be defaulting to half the processors power?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Instead of dual core, it's probably HT. Not sure but I think you need to run a second instance of FAH.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Instead of dual core, it's probably HT. Not sure but I think you need to run a second instance of FAH.
    I'd guess that you are correct on the first point, and if we're right, the answer to the second is that you do indeed need to run two instances of FAH. Just make sure that they have different machine ID's. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Agreed, get that 2nd instance going and 100% shall be yours :) that is how all my Pent 4's ran before I knew how to run 2 instances on them.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yep... I'm betting either dual core or HyperThread...
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Guys!!
    PC Wizard reveals that it's hyperthreading. Now I just need to do a bit of reading in the forum on setting up a 2nd instance. Never had the need to do that before. I may as well do that on my Gaming Rig at home while I'm about it. That one's dual core and I've only got one instance running on it.
    edited August 2006
    Are you running the Console version? If so, make a new folder and run a second installation of the client from there. Make sure you go into the Advanced options and set the Machine ID to something different than the existing client. You should then see two instances of FAH running, each using 50%. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I create folder #1 and #2.
    Then I can run each of them from their own location.
    edited August 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    I create folder #1 and #2.
    Then I can run each of them from their own location.
    Exactly the same here; I create the folders FAH1 & FAH2 and copy the client to each, then run the setup program from each. :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Exactly the same here; I create the folders FAH1 & FAH2 and copy the client to each, then run the setup program from each. :thumbsup:
    same here ...I copy the config too and just edit the machineID.
    edited August 2006
    I set the second instance up, but the advanced settings threw me a bit.
    The second instance seems to be working OK but my CPU (the dual core at home) is still only using 50%.
    Task manager shows that the other 50% is being used by System Idle Process.
    What setting is wrong????
    edited August 2006
    Sorry I figured it out. Forgot I had to restart my PC before it will run as an active process. I now have 100% CPU goodness :D
    edited August 2006
    Winga wrote:
    ...I now have 100% CPU goodness :D
    :D:D:D