Windows won't recognize my new GPU

ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I just bought 512MB additional RAM (to a total of 1024MB) and a new GPU, the PNY Verto Geforce 7600GS 256MB.

The installation went, nicely, had some problems but eventually it worked.

Now, when booting Windows, it recognized the GPU, but I just can't, what's it called, "install" it!

Windows finds a "VGA-compatible GPU", but then it says to put in the installation CD, but it won't help, the installation fails every time!

My system:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024MB RAM (DDR)
PNY Verto Geforce 7600GS 256MB (AGP 4X)
120HDD (Seagate)

(Old GPU was a NVidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200)

Also, my screen refreshing is very laggy when scrolling down on a website or a document!

I am now downloading the NVidia drivers from the web. Hope they'll get it to work, I wont even dare try gaming until Windows recognizes them correctly :(

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    Uninstall the old drivers and install the latest ones from www.nvidia.com.
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited August 2006
    Well I downloaded the Driver Cleaner Pro, and chose NVidia and then clicked start, it said finished so I closed it. Now I'm downloading the NVidia drivers, hope it works! :(

EDIT: Nah, The NVidia driver wouldn't install (Finnish text, can't translate)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It should work fine... the lag you are getting is from not having a Nvidia driver on your machine. Windows normally won't find the driver either. It usually runs smooth as butter once the driver from nvidia is inatalled.
    edited August 2006
    But as I edited above, it won't install! :(

EDIT: Here's the error: "The NVidia installation software didnt find any compatible drivers with the hardware"
    edited August 2006
    The driver you downloaded from Nvidia won't install? what error are you getting.

You should be able to download the exe and just double click itm and from there it should be cake.
    edited August 2006
    Wrote the error above...
    edited August 2006
    Are you trying to use the fiound new hardware utility?
    edited August 2006
    Try these drivers....

http://www.bfmetournaments.com/Downloads/Nvidia_drivers/84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

It was the release before the new ones...
    edited August 2006
    Nope, doesn't work! Same error as before. :(

I think I'll try to take it out and put it back again (the GPU). Maybe that'd help. Or should I try to uninstall the old drivers again?
    edited August 2006
    Using Driver Cleaner Pro (choosing NVidia and then start) and then rebooting didn't work, still got the same error.

I will not reconnect the GPU in hope to get it to function properly :(

Or should I just return it to the store? Or just go there and ask for help? Or contact PNY's customer service?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    You aren't by chance getting a Windows warning that the drivers are not signed or something like that, are you? If so, ignore the STOP! warning and choose "Continue Anyway". :)
    edited August 2006
    Arakorn I have never heard of anyone having these issues. Are you able to take a few screenshots of the error you get when trying to install?

Hit your printscreen button "keyboard" and paste and save out of Windows paint :) and attach it to your next post...
    edited August 2006
    Prof: No, not getting that.

Sledgehammer: It's in Finnish, but by googling you can find many results with my error ;)

Anyway, I found this and am now downloading it, hope it works!

BTW, you're the same guys that helped me when my CPU fan was covered in dust ;):D

EDIT: BTW Prof, I know how to take screenies ;)

EDIT2: Nope, same error as usual. I've contacted PNY (www.pny-europe.com>support>support request) with my problems.

Could it be that I have a 250W PSU, in the manual it says that 250W is minimum, but on the package and on the web it says 300W?
    edited August 2006
    I don't think the PSU would cause install issues... although if the Graphic card isn't getting enought power windows might not see it, making the error occur. If windows can't see your graphics card than I can see how that error could be happening.

Does the card require a power plug from your PSU to it? if so do you have one connected? :)
    edited August 2006
    Yes, I think it requires as there was something that resembled the power plug ;)

I connected it, dunno if it's connected properly, since I had to push with all my strength to get it in (just like with the DIMM RAM ;))

Anyway, I'm now trying this
    Will post results.
    edited August 2006
    Yes! I think that I have actually fixed it! At least the scrolling is smooth now, and in the taskbar the NVidia desktop manager is running, and in my system there now is a 7600GS under the GPU's, but just to be on the safe side, I'll try launching Oblivion without Oldblivion ;)

EDIT: Yes, Oblivion launches! Wohoo! Thanks for everyone that has tried to help me, but this time, google was the solution! ;)
    edited August 2006
    Google is fired :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Glad you got it going, Arakorn. :D