Vista Prices Leaked On Amazon

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Wow... I agree with Thrax now. Vista is purty but it does scare me.
  • edited September 2006
    Usually you present your opinion-based arguments with well-rationed logic behind them - but this is below your standards. Vista is quite a bit more than a service pack to XP. It's almost a complete re-write. Dig into it a bit more than a superficial layer, explore the aspects that affect, say, the MCSE skills; the more technical side of things, and you must agree that your assertion is quite an understatement.

I also agree with Thrax too. Let's look at his list of Vista features:

-Desktop widgets - Something I haven't used yet, so I'm not missing it anyways. I imagine you can find some kind of add-on for XP to do this function if you want some widgets.

-IE7 - Future upgrade for XP anyways. I've recently looked at this abortion and didn't like it's interface layout. Micorsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to change the interface around to be different from the other browsers, to IE7's detriment IMO.

-Aero - Haven't messed with it and don't need it anyways (bloatware)

-WMP11 - future upgrade for XP

-Windows Mail, Calendar - big whoop. I'm presently happy with my present mail client.

-A centralized control panel - Another feature that I really don't need. I know where to go in my present control panel well enough, thank you.

-Prefetching often-used programs to memory - Might be useful, but at the expense of a larger memory footprint, necessitating more ram. More ram=more money to run.

-Updated task manager - Might be useful

-Support for NVFlash drives - Might be useful

-A replacement for netmeeting - Another big whoop. I imagine that 99% of home users will never need something like this anyways. Maybe large businesses could use something like this though.

And like Thrax said about all the trusted computing nonsense, I agree also. And add in all the extra DRM baggage that Billy-Boy is throwing into Vista, and it looks much less atractive than sticking with XP to me.

Now if only Apple would release OSX for systems other than their overpriced hardware........:vimp:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    [H]ard|OCP's recent review of Pre-RC1 has also concluded that it's a perfected Windows XP; tweaks, adjustments and revisions that could've been implemented on XP. Revisions that make the OS convenient, but not worthy of replacing a licensed copy of XP with.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm not talking about superficial things. I'm talking about exciting features like scripting, which can help with some of the crazy group policy things that big active directory networks need. That also brings to mind some of the new GPOs like assigning printers based on location, device lockout based on priveldges, and (the thing I am most excited about): group policy-based QOS. These things couldn't be "tacked on" to WinXP without a network stack rewrite. At that point, it's a different OS. The network stack has been completely rewritten from scratch. The other thing that I am REALLY excited about is WIM, the new imaging format.

You're looking at it from an end-user standpoint. I'm looking at how much easier it will be to deploy and manage 20-30 systems using Vista.

Some other features of interest to sysadmins:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/overvw.mspx
    edited September 2006
    Alternatively, however, consider the TCO of Windows Vista. It's not just an OS this time, it's the outlandish hardware requirements to support even the basic features. It's absurd.

The administrative functions are pretty nice, I agree, but at what cost? I feel as though it's very, very high.
    edited September 2006
    I also disagree. I'd say 80% of my customer's computers are ready to run vista as is. Most computers made within the last two years are ready for vista right now.

I've noticed many people mistaking "Running Vista" with "Running Aero Glass". If you turn off Aero Glass, it can run on old hardware.

I'm about to install the pre-rc1 build on my wife's laptop. 512mb ram, pentium M 1.3ghz, radeon mobility 9000. I'm willing to bet it will run just fine, perhaps not with Aero Glass, but well enough.
  • edited September 2006
    Hey prime, if you are interested in it, I read the other day that M$ opened the latest build for downloading again, for 100,000 downloads. If you hurry, you might still be able to get it if you want to play with it.
    edited September 2006
    Yeah that's the one I grabbed. I'm using it right now, and plan on putting it on my wife's laptop.
  • edited September 2006
    I also disagree. I'd say 80% of my customer's computers are ready to run vista as is. Most computers made within the last two years are ready for vista right now.

I've noticed many people mistaking "Running Vista" with "Running Aero Glass". If you turn off Aero Glass, it can run on old hardware.

I'm about to install the pre-rc1 build on my wife's laptop. 512mb ram, pentium M 1.3ghz, radeon mobility 9000. I'm willing to bet it will run just fine, perhaps not with Aero Glass, but well enough.
    I disagree. If your system cannot run all the features of a new OS, up to and including Aero Glass, with it's present hardware, then your system is not VISTA ready. That's like saying your vehicle is flex fuel ready as long as you first remove the ethanol from the gas before you use it.
    edited September 2006
    I don't think corporate users need aero glass to be able to check their email while at the same time their administrator can enforce policy-based printer usage.
  • edited September 2006
    I don't think corporate users need aero glass to be able to check their email while at the same time their administrator can enforce policy-based printer usage.
    Regardless of what is needed or it's intended use by various end users, if the system cannot utilize all the features of the new OS, then it is not Vista ready. Indisputably, Vista can be run on non-Vista ready systems with some features disabled; however, to truly be considered a Vista ready machine, all features must be supported.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    I think the thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft is trying to meet the needs and wishes of disparate groups of users, knowing full well that not every user is going to be interested in every feature. Have a great machine and want glitz? They put it in there. Have specific business needs? They put that in there too.

Think about all the features in WinXP (or Win98, or Win95, rtc) that you don't - and won't ever - use. They could lop off Outlook Express, WMP, IE, and a bunch of things and I would not care one hoot. Other users might consider those features critical.

To me, it seems that they've done a fairly good job of trying to include something for everyone. Like any other consumer item, look for a product which has all the features you need, most or all of the features you want, and ignore the stuff you don't care about. I don't have any use for the ashtray in the back seat area of my car, but that doesn't mean the vehicle was a bad deal for me.
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I don't have any use for the ashtray in the back seat area of my car, but that doesn't mean the vehicle was a bad deal for me.
    I'm going outside to stick a "Nascar Ready" sticker on my Honda Civic and head on over to the race track.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    I'm going outside to stick a "Nascar Ready" sticker on my Honda Civic and head on over to the race track.

actually if u do a fuel strategy and can maintain minimum speeds you might have a good shot at winning:Pwned:
  • edited September 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    actually if u do a fuel strategy and can maintain minimum speeds you might have a good shot at winning:Pwned:
    Now that would be cool. Could you just see the look on those racer's faces when the Civic cruises through the checkered flag! :cool:
    edited September 2006
    Just to stir the pot a little:

Five Great Features in Windows Vista RC1
    edited September 2006
    Also: Solitaire is WAY, WAY cooler on Vista :crazy:
    edited September 2006
    As the reigning world champion in computer solitaire, I have to ask in what way is it cooler?
    edited September 2006
    enhanced graphics and sounds, plus a neat feature that sends all possible cards home if you right click. When you have all the cards lined up right, and you right click, it is an extremely satisfying rush of all cards home. Ah :D
    edited September 2006
    enhanced graphics and sounds...
    What sounds? A "cooler" drip..drip... noise? :vimp:
    ...plus a neat feature that sends all possible cards home if you right click. When you have all the cards lined up right, and you right click, it is an extremely satisfying rush of all cards home. Ah :D
    You can do that in WinXP! ;)
    edited September 2006
    But trust me, it's better in Vista Solitaire... :eek3:
    edited September 2006
    But trust me, it's better in Vista Solitaire... :eek3:
    Now you have me curious. It's going on a spare rig tomorrow. :ninja:
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Now you have me curious. It's going on a spare rig tomorrow. :ninja:
    Is your spare rig Vista Ready? If not, just slap a Vista Ready sticker on the side of the computer and your good to go! Solitare will look great, but don't pull that sticker off, because that will definately reduce your solitare viewing pleasure in Vista. The Vista Ready sticker is ultra powerful...never forget that.
    edited September 2006
    A new version of solitaire! Another feature that should be available in Windows XP SP3. ;)
  • edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    A new version of solitaire! Another feature that should be available in Windows XP SP3. ;)
    Ditto.:hitit2:
    Service Pack 3, code name Vista.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Is SP3 even coming?
    edited September 2006
    Eventually, yes. Mum's the word, however it's been theorized at February/March, a few months after the consumer release of WinV.
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    ...it's been theorized at February/March, a few months after the consumer release of WinV.
    What year? :vimp:
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    What year? :vimp:
    In the year of Service Pack 3...duh. :doh:
    edited September 2006
    An excellent question. DEATH TO VISTA! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.