Optical Drives Not Detected - Help, Please

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hello all,

Iam having problems and am in need of help. My BenQ dvd burner recently died. I purchased 2 new Samsung burners from Newegg. I have recently installed them. I plugged in the power cable and the IDE cable to the drives. The IDE cable has two connectors on the end going to the optical drives, so I plugged the one that was connected to the BenQ to the top SamSung drive, and the other connector to the lower Samsung drive. I also set the jumper on the top drive to master and the lower one to slave. My problem is my pc does not see the drives. The only optical drive listed in explorer is the virtual drive created by Alcohol. The instructions provided with the drives are useless. The new burners will not open up and the lights don't light up either. I tried using the windows new hardware installation wizard but it can't see the drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot fellas.

J

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Make sure the drive at the end of the cable is set to master and that the other one is set to slave. Go into the BIOS and make sure that both Master & Slave for that Channel are set to "Auto", unless there is a specific choice of cdrom in the list there.

If that fails, try one drive at a time and see if you have any luck. If you're still stumped, go into Device Manager and uninstall the IDE Channel the drives are attached to, reboot and let Windows try again.

You might also try uninstalling the virtual drive and/or Alcohol, since they may be interfering with the detection process somehow.

Good luck. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Does the BIOS detect them?