First build, AMD 5000+ or Core 2 Duo

brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hey Guys, I am planning to build my first computer. It will mainly serve as a gaming computer, as well a school tool. The OS will be Windows XP Pro. Here are my core components, first revision:
• ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
• AMD 64 X2 5000+ Windsor
• Geforce 7950GT KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
• Segate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (x2)
Probably in a RAID 0 configuration
• 512 MB Kingston K4T51083QC (x4)
• NEC DVD+R 3550A
• Samsung 204B
• NeoPower 550W
• Antec P-180B Case

However, having said all that I am now hearing that I should go for a system built around a Core 2 Duo and not bother with SLI. I am a fan of speed and with the drop in prices for AMD processors the AMD 5000+ looked like a good buy. Would a Core 2 Duo (which is about the same price) be a better choice? Also, would my core component work well together if I did decide to go AMD? Here is a list of the games that I would like to play on it: Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, Civilization 4, Command and Conquer: The First Decade, Command and Conquer 3 (when it comes out), and Star Wars: Empire at War. My price window is $2100 – 2400. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    A Core 2 Duo of the same speed as that 5000+ is 10-30% faster in any application. That is to say, even if you buy a Core 2 Duo that features a 20% slower clockspeed than that 5000+, it'll still be faster.

I suggest a comparable Core 2 Duo and the Asus P5B motherboard, and I would really suggest having more than 1GB of memory if you're going to be gaming.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited August 2006
    Grab 2 x 1Gb DDR2 RAM and an E6600 conroe.

Datsun 1600
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Save yourself a few bucks and buy Windows XP Home instead of pro. Spend the money you save on RAM instead.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    everything that they said.
    You want to run 2x1GB for the memory.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    i concur with what most people said thus far...also...try to get speedy ram...don't go for the low grade stuff...and personally i LOVE my OCZ PSU...totally worth every penny...i also heard that hiper is fairly decent, but u need a good sized case due to how the cables are connected to the psu.
  • edited September 2006
    he said x4 at the end i believe that means that he is getting 2 gb total
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Right, which is very inefficient for running memory. 1GB sticks are vastly, vastly better (Read: More compatible) when running 2gb.
  • brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
    edited September 2006
    Oh wow. I did not think that I would get so much response. I will defiantly get more RAM for my rig.

"Save yourself a few bucks and buy Windows XP Home instead of pro. Spend the money you save on RAM instead."

I guess that I should have already mentioned that I am taking my OS from my old computer, so I will not be spending any money on that. Otherwise I would be getting XP Home.

Thanks for everything guys, tell me anything else I am missing.
    edited September 2006
    I just noticed you picked the upside down case, there are very few compatible PSUs that have the P4 plug long enough to reach, I know from personal experience, as I have a Silverstone TJ06, and I run a 650 watt Silverstone PSU, that has an 8 pin to 4 pin extension adaptor that only just reaches.

Datsun 1600
  • brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
    edited September 2006
    I just noticed you picked the upside down case, there are very few compatible PSUs that have the P4 plug long enough to reach, I know from personal experience, as I have a Silverstone TJ06, and I run a 650 watt Silverstone PSU, that has an 8 pin to 4 pin extension adaptor that only just reaches.

Datsun 1600

Eh? I found the case in Fry's and it seemed like a normal case to me (not inverted or anything). Maybe I put the wrong case name on here. All I say was a black steel super mid-tower case.
    edited September 2006
    Eh? I found the case in Fry's and it seemed like a normal case to me (not inverted or anything). Maybe I put the wrong case name on here. All I say was a black steel super mid-tower case.
    Yep, the Antec P180B is a standard looking case, but the PSU is on the bottom.

Datsun 1600