Picture distortion for new 22" Widescreen

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hi folks, I need help..

Today, I just bought a 22" lcd with a res of 1680 X 1050. My PC is a laptop that runs on a mobility radeon 9200 and is 15" widescreen. But when I connect the LCD to my laptop, things are squashed (a circle looks like an egg). I've tried all possible res combo from 800 X 600, 1280 X 800, 1600 X1200, and it's still the same.

Figuring that I might need to update my driver, I tried downloading catalyst 6.8 and 6.5. None of them worked. Apparently, this is an old driver with no support for newer LCD models.

So, I guess I've to junk away my laptop and get a new PC with the latest GPU?

Other than getting a new PC, is there a way to make things look right in the correct aspect ratio. I won't mind having empty black spaces around it. Meaning that if I set a 1280 X 800, the total screen size would be exactly 1280 pixels wide. Because currently, even if I set at 1280 px wide, it will stretch the full length of the LCD.(I hope u guys can understand what I'm saying :tongue2: )

Thanks and regards..

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    did the monitor come with an install disk of any kind, or did the laptop recognize it as new hardware? Your gpu may just not support those resolutions, I will check it it does.
  • edited September 2006
    did the monitor come with an install disk of any kind, or did the laptop recognize it as new hardware? Your gpu may just not support those resolutions, I will check it it does.

the lcd only came with a simplified manual in a cd. it's a taiwanese brand called chimei, model is CMV 221D. however, it does states some graphic cards capable of supporting its res but not mine. my pc is a compaq presario x1097ap. thks!
  • edited September 2006
    i think i've resolved it. i downloaded a tool called powerStrip. it allows me to set a user-defined res of 1680 X 1050 and add it as a new monitor profile. after which, i can select 1680 X 1050 in the display settings.

problem solved, but i'm thinking, is there an easier way to add a new resolution profile instead of using a 3rd party tool?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    For the most part: No. Particularly on laptops.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    well your graphics card does not natively support widescreen formats, hence why you needed a 3rd party setup. I am not to sure about ATI cards but Nvidia allows you to add custom settings very easily.