HDD Making loud noise

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Okay, I'm trying to type this fast so I can turn my comp off, so forgive my mistakes. My HDD is making noise all of a sudden. It could be anything in the PC, but It's coming from exactly where the HDD is located so... It just started doing this randomly, havent done anything different didnt move anything. I'm freaking out and I need help fast, I tried restarting already, adn leaving it off for 5 mins. Im gonna turn it back on in about 10 mins and check for an answer. Thanks in advance guys. Freaking out!!! :hair:

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Shut down, Unplug the HDD and boot it up again.. could just be the fan.

If it is the HDD, it could be dieing... sucks but not much you can do.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    V|P wrote:
    Okay, I'm trying to type this fast so I can turn my comp off, so forgive my mistakes. My HDD is making noise all of a sudden. It could be anything in the PC, but It's coming from exactly where the HDD is located so... It just started doing this randomly, havent done anything different didnt move anything. I'm freaking out and I need help fast, I tried restarting already, adn leaving it off for 5 mins. Im gonna turn it back on in about 10 mins and check for an answer. Thanks in advance guys. Freaking out!!! :hair:

Back up your data. Immediately.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    As in now.

Good luck. :)
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Okay, I rebooted after leaving it off for about 10 minutes, and it's not making anymore noise, but I do want to make a backup because I have all the files for ThinkQuest on this. I was wondering if there was a way to make a backup automatically, I mean other than me selecting what files I want to back up. And I also want to know if there is any utility I can get that will output a list of all the software I currently have installed in a txt or something. I want to print this list, and/or burn it to the backup CD so that I can install everything when I reinstall XP.

Can you guys explain how you normally do backups also?
    edited September 2006
    Backup Strategy

(Unabashed self-promotion.)

How big is the drive in question? Not just a partition, if there is more than one, but the whole shootin' match?

The easy way is to copy the whole partition to a new drive of equal or larger size. You can also use Cobian Backup (see above link) to select which files and folders to backup.

As for listing the contents of your drive, the Belarc Advisor is free, and very easy to use. :)
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Backup Strategy

(Unabashed self-promotion.)

How big is the drive in question? Not just a partition, if there is more than one, but the whole shootin' match?

The easy way is to copy the whole partition to a new drive of equal or larger size. You can also use Cobian Backup (see above link) to select which files and folders to backup.

As for listing the contents of your drive, the Belarc Advisor is free, and very easy to use. :)
    Thanks Prof, but the thing is, I don't have another drive atm. It's a 250 GB WD SATA II, and it's the only drive in this PC, and right now, another drive is out of the question. That's why I was thinking of making a DVD ISO or something, or even a few DVD ISOs. I'll read your article and see what I can do.
    Thanks again. :)
    edited September 2006
    V|P wrote:
    ...That's why I was thinking of making a DVD ISO or something, or even a few DVD ISOs...
    There is a method in Cobian to break the data you want to backup into DVD-sized chunks. I'd advise against trying to span the entire drive over umpteen-million discs. Just backup the stuff you can't easily replace or reinstall should the worst come to pass. :)
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    There is a method in Cobian to break the data you want to backup into DVD-sized chunks. I'd advise against trying to span the entire drive over umpteen-million discs. Just backup the stuff you can't easily replace or reinstall should the worst come to pass. :)
    Way ahead of you. That's why I needed a list of everything I have installed, so that I can easily go through and reinstall everything I need without fogetting. I have most of my software thats worth $$ backed up already on DVDs.