Can an Enermax Liberty 620W be used in a P180 Case?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello

I recently searched on some hardware components and put an eye on the Enermax Liberty 620W, and the Antec P180 Black (Black because it has some improved things over the old silver)

I have ordered myself the Enermax power supply, and later noticed it uses one 120mm fan for the cooling. I then noticed that it is not located on the back on the PSU, but on the bottom, I assume it means its blowing air downwards, into the case (assuming the PSU is located on the top of the case).

I then saw that the Case I wanted to order, the P180, has its power supply located on the bottom (may be an option to place it on the top as well maby, but I know that its preferred on the bottom as to better cooling).

Now I wonder if the fact that the power supplu has its 120mm fan located on the bottom will not cause problems with the fact that the PSU will be located on the bottom of the P180, and will not have any room for the air blown downwards (there will be almost no space for the air, if it all - if the PSU is not completely on the bottom)

I think you understand what I worry about, help me understand more.

Should I go with the P180, or choose a case that has its power supply located on the top because of the fact the PSU has its fan located on the bottom?

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    On that PSU, the fan blows into the PSU as do all with that fan orientation.

The Antec P180 is designed to have a PSU that has air movement back > front, a different choice in case might be a good idea, also the P4 plug needs to be very long to reach fom the bottom mounted PSU to the top of the mobo, where most P4 plugs are situated.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for the info.

So in the antec there wont be much air for the PSU to use.

Any recommendations of decent ATX (full tower preferred) cases? the more choices the better.
    edited September 2006
    Coolermaster Stacker and Gigabyte Aurora would be my picks, there are many others out there.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    I think the stacker is too big, but the Aurora looks great

I wonder when it will be out, I can't wait too much

Another option may be the Coolermaster Wavemaster
    edited September 2006
    zerobeta wrote:
    I think the stacker is too big, but the Aurora looks great

I wonder when it will be out, I can't wait too much

Another option may be the Coolermaster Wavemaster
    These days you want to be looking for 120mmm front fans for good case ventilation.

The 3D Aurora has been around for about 12 months (I have 2 of them), the new 3D Aurora 570 could be a while off yet, but you never know, just check the online stores for availability.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    At first I thought you ment the not yet available 3D Aurora 570, now I see you mean the 'Aurora'. So I reckon its a quality case?

2 120mm fans on back, never seen any case with 2 on back.
    edited September 2006
    zerobeta wrote:
    At first I thought you ment the not yet available 3D Aurora 570, now I see you mean the 'Aurora'. So I reckon its a quality case?

2 120mm fans on back, never seen any case with 2 on back.
    Oh, it's quality full aluminium, has about a 3 inch gap between the top of the mobo and PSU, the only downside is no removable mobo tray.

Another one would be the Thermaltake Shark.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for all the help

I think I will go with the 3d aurora.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The 180 does have space between the top and bottom of the PSU mount for airflow into the Enermax PSU. This case is from Antec whose own PSU's are of the same fan confiuration as Enermax so I seriouly do not think they would shoot themselves in the foot so to speak. The Aurora looks like a nice case but I would check into some reviews first.
    edited September 2006
    There is still the slight problem of the long P4 plug lead, needed to reach the mobo header, with most PSUs the lead is about 450mm long but with these upside down cases about 600mm is needed, extensions are available if you can find them.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    I have checked several reviews of the aurora and it does get very high rating, so I am sure I wont be disappointed.

It may even be easier to me, there are not so many configureation options like in the P180 hehe.

The only thing I worry about (not that much to not buy the case) is that in order to remove the dust filter in order to clean it every some time, I need to remove the front panel, in which I think I need to remove both side panels off! If that is not enough, they dont use thumbscrews, they use 3 screws on each side panel, but that is one and only problem, will live with it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I just purchased an Aurora after two and a half years of looking for a proper case, and I could not be happier.