Absolutely nothing happens!

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I was given a long-neglected computer yesterday by a friend who had been keeping it in their shed.

When I got it home, I booted it up and set about installing the broadband, Firefox, etc. on it (it's running XP Pro by the way).

Then, I woke up this morning and went to check my emails, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens. Not a sausage.

Now, upon opening the case, I find that the area around the power switch is slightly rusted - but nothing else is aparently wrong. No loose wires or anything.

My theory is that the switch has become stuck in the off position permanantly, but I am a novice and thought someone else may have some other ideas...

Also,the pc is a Compaq Deskpro. I'm sorry I don't know which model and neither does my friend. It has an intel pentium 3 processor - but I don't know its speed. Any thoughts on where I may purchase a replacement, or other theories about what may be going on?

Thanks,
Huckle

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Since it is running Xp Pro I seriously doubt it is an AT typse system where the powerswithch is and on/off type. And it is likely to be an ATX system where the power swithch is and intermittent jump to activate the power circutry on the motherboard and power supply. With this said I beleive the first ored of buisness is to thouroughly cleat the whole thing. Be sure to remove all jumpers (noting their current positions) and connections and clean them with alcohol. Then reassemble everything and see what happens.
  • edited September 2006
    Google tells me it is an ATX switch.

I have cleaned, checked and double checked all the jumpers, and still nothing.

I have now deduced the pc's a compaq EN series - still working on the model. I have looked up the replacement part number (157928-001) on http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/ - they're selling it for $53. A quick curreny convert to £s = EXPENSIVE!.
    Other, non-Hp compaq parts are about $2 (=cheap), but they have a much smaller plug as they don't have the LEDs the existing switch has. Also, I live in England and the only suppliers I can find are US-based, meaning shipping will be just about as much as the part!

Will it be a problem to just fit the smaller connector of a replacement in only the top 2 pins of the plug (where the wires of the existing switch lead), and does anyone know of a reputable UK supplier of parts?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    huckle wrote:
    ...Will it be a problem to just fit the smaller connector of a replacement in only the top 2 pins of the plug (where the wires of the existing switch lead)...
    First off, test your theory that it is the switch by shorting together the two pins on the motherboard where the power switch leads are connected. If the computer fires right up then you will have proven your theory to be correct. If not, we need to keep looking. If you're not sure about the exact procedure please ask first. :)
    ...and does anyone know of a reputable UK supplier of parts?
    We've got lots of UK folks who I am sure will be happy to advise you. All you basically need is a Single Pole Momentary Pushbutton Switch. If you're handy with tools at all you could just add it to the front or side of the case in an aesthetically pleasing location.
  • edited September 2006
    I've just tried shorting them together, and nothing happens!

Could it be the PSU?
    edited September 2006
    huckle wrote:
    ...Could it be the PSU?
    That would be the next thing I would try. If you can borrow one somewhere I'd do that. If you buy one, make sure the store has a reasonable return policy in case that turns out not to be the answer.
  • edited September 2006
    Should I test it with the power supply from the pc I am using at the moment, or is that asking for trouble!?
    edited September 2006
    If it was me, that's what I would do. I would also be prepared for the slim possibility that it might damage my good PSU.

That's not likely to happen, (assuming you've checked the machine thoroughly and are confident that nothing else is rusted out or short-circuited, etc), but that would have to be your call. :)
  • edited September 2006
    YES! It's the power supply! Now I just have to find the money to buy a new one...

Thanks Prof
    edited September 2006
    Glad you got it going. :cheers: