Computers touch sensitive

edited September 2006 in Hardware
One of my friends PCs seems to have become touch sensitive. Its been randomly shutting down at anytime, at the BIOS screen, loading Screen and in windows, and has been randomly Turning on. When it shuts down in windows it sometimes shows the "windows is shutting down" process. We checked all the wires to make sure they were attached properly and there doesnt seem to be any other problems. We manage to turn it off normaly but when his PC was lighty knocked it turned on again. Im thinking that there may be a short in the power switch and was thinking of using a jumper to short the connectors on the mother board.

Just need to know if this would work or if anyone else had any other ideas on what could cause this to happen?

XP home SP2
3200 dual core AMD
ASUS A8R MVP
X1900 XT
512MB RAM

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    The idea about bypassing the power switch and just using the jumper on the motherboard is fine for troubleshooting purposes, but keep in mind that the power switch is a momentary switch. Just pop the jumper onto the power pins for a second and then remove it.

I would go hunting around in the case for any possible wires, etc, which could be accidentally grounding out somewhere. In fact, removing the whole works from the case and running it on top of a cardboard box for a day might be worthwhile. If it doesn't conk out on you under those conditions you'll be pretty sure that it has something to do with a component grounding against the case. While I was at it, I'd also check to make sure all the motherboard standoffs are in the proper location.

See if any of that helps. :)