No boot up...but lights are on

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I recently installed mobile phone tools and during installation a message popped up saying that this program was not a windows logo application and continuing installation could corrupt windows...or something along those lines. Well I checked a forum online and a guy there said he continued and his computer worked fine, so I continued. Well the next time I booted it up...it went to the safe mode, start windows normally or start with last known good configuration. I believe i selected start normally and when the windows logo came up to load windows, it quickly flashed to a blue screen and then restarted. It took me back to that menu and i went into safe mode. Safe Mode worked, so when i was there i system restored to a date before installing that new software. Still, when i would boot, it would take me to that menu and i would select "last known good configuration" sometimes..."safe mode" sometimes and "normal" sometimes. Now sometiems it would boot right away, others it would reboot again. It progressively got worse...and now...the light all turn on, but there is no HP startup logo or anything, and it rebooots all on its own...and after about 4-5 automatic reboots it starts beeping. I called hp and they said i had to re-instal windows...so i put the windows disk in and restart...but NOTHING appears on the screen...but with the disk in...it almost seems to actually run, it doesn't automatically reboot...any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Describe your hardware in greater detail. If you have a link to the HP site for your model that would be great.

Have you tried going into Safe Mode and uninstalling the phone application in Control Panel? You might also try (again, in Safe Mode) clicking Start>>Run, type in msconfig, going to the Startup tab, and unchecking everything except critical programs like Anti-Virus and other security-related items.
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks...I finally got a hold of hp and since my laptop is so new, they're going to either have it fixed somewhere here or have me send it in and possibly replace for free. Thanks for your help though!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    That sounds like a good deal. If it's totally free and won't leave you without a computer for three months because they want you to ship it off to Timbuktu, I'd say that's a no-lose situation. I would recommend that if they want to hit you up for a shipping (or any other) charge, you might try the stuff in my last post first. :)