Music Constantly Skipping

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I have been using itunes to play my music. When I first started using it on my new laptop the sound would only skip when websites were loading (and this was not every time, but some of the time). Now the music skips at least 20 times during each song that plays. It's driving me nuts. I've tried the fixes I could find on the internet by changing to "safe mode: wave out" in quicktime. I've also experimented with advanced windows sound settings all of which had no affect. I also switched from using wirless to wired in the case that it was the wireless causing it. I've also experienced audio skipping in other programs such as Windows Media Center playing my audio, but the skips are more rare, but skip alot more time than it does in Itunes. (Itunes just kinda pauses with a scracthy noise). If anybody knows of anything I can tweak that could ease this problem or totally get rid of it ... please let me know.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    bump?
  • edited September 2006
    try update audio drivers
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    when you're playing music, are you doing anything else? Check the task manager to see how much ram and cpu time you have free.
  • edited September 2006
    I just took some stuff off of startup through msconfig and it seems that the audio skips alot less. I don't understand it... sometimes my computer has hiccups or freezes for a second then comes back. I'm running 2 processors in this machine and it seems to have less power than my 3400+ 64 in my desktop machine (the processor is 2 years old I believe). And when I listen to music all I'm doing is using firefox + instant messenger...
  • edited September 2006
    Ok now I am experiencing consistent hang ups/hiccups. My system will become (or a program will) totally unresponsive for a few seconds then come back. This has been happening in games also with intense lowered frame rates and then returning back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to have to do a format+clean install but I'm almost to that point anybody with a dv-8000t have any problems like this?

I have reduced the number of start up programs and uninstalled programs. It just seems to be getting progressively worse. This thing worked like a champ when I first got it.... I have anti-virus so I don't think it's a bug, but it very well could be...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Have you run memtest to analyze for bad memory?
  • edited September 2006
    yeh... i didnt run it for very long... it passed what it ran through tho...

I ran an HP memory diagnostic which was very extensive and it has passed. I also ran scan disc and I have defragged several times. Some process keeps taking up 100% of the CPU and bogging everything else down when I'm doing something simple like going through folders on my hard disc or browsing the internet.

I have Norton Internet Security installed on this computer which I find to be a nuisance. I also have a Quicklaunch buttons program, HP digital imaging monitor, bluetooth, and "synaptics pointing device" running in my task bar or whatever it's called.

Also, does anyone know of a way to check what % of CPU individual programs take up at any given time? I know task manager let's you see overall how much CPU is being used.
  • edited September 2006
    just as an update. when i stop norton internet security from loading my computer runs alot smoother (not perfect, but tons better than the way it acted before.) I really just want norton anti-virus without all that antispam/antispyware/firewall crap but I dont seem to have the option towards this.

If anyone has any other suggestions towards tweaking this laptop dont hesitate to share them to help me get my system running better, but I suppose I've figured out my problem.
    edited September 2006
    The task manager processes tab tells you what % of cpu is being used by specific processes.

There are several good free antivirus programs without the bloat of norton's package; avg for example:
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
  • edited September 2006
    Are you sure that that progam doesn't have any spy ware or such things? Would you recommend it over Norton?
    edited September 2006
    I really don't like norton. It's very inefficient (as resource use goes).

Avg is fairly popular - if you search the forum, you'll see that others recommend it as well.