Please Help

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I need some help, my comp was rendering an avi when I started up a dl program, I had antialiasing on at the max and this particular program does not like it and I forgot :( it lagged my comp rotten then crashed it- as it has done a few times in the past but this time it did not restart.

loads the mobo addy and also a option to change my hd to raid as its always done, does the normal sys checks then black screens as if its just waiting to load something- but it doesnt. I try using a boot disc and repare windows and also try re-install windows but it goes to the bluescreen of death-

BAD_POOL_CALLER - is at the top on all blue screens.

get the following message on the bluescreen when it crashes after trying to re-install windows-

*** stop : 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xc2384000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

get the following when I try to repair-

*** stop : 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xc2784000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I try to boot up in safe mode but it gives me the following info and doesnt do anything else (thats all safe mode types)-

multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\config\system
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.log

it just sits there with this info onscreen

I also tried all other type of bootup, vga mode, last known working configuration etc. but all just go to a black screen waiting on something.

have left it on black screen to see if anything happens but after 30-45 mins still nothing.

Im no comp techy, but Ive tried :( can anyone help me out? :(

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    "BAD_POOL_CALLER" generally means either failing RAM or a device driver making an illegal call to a part of memory reserved for something else.

If you can get into Safe Mode you could try reinstalling (or updating) the video driver, but I'd give it a pass or two of Memtest-86 in any case, just to rule out bad RAM.

Good luck. :)
  • edited September 2006
    I assume I would need to be able to start up my computer to run that software- so that option is out the window ;)

I am unable to get windows to start- just to reaffirm this :( tried switching the ram about and its the same.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    BAD_POOL_CALLER refers to a device driver malfunction and/or software corruption.

Use the repair option to find all non-microsoft services and disable. Let us know what happens then. :)
    edited September 2006
    MerlinatoR wrote:
    I assume I would need to be able to start up my computer to run that software- so that option is out the window ;)...
    It runs off a bootable floppy or cdrom; you don't even need on OS installed (nor a hard drive, for that matter) to test the RAM. :)

What zero.counter suggested is well worth a try, assuming Safe Mode is an option.
  • edited September 2006
    @Zero - when I do Repair, then select drive it bluescreens me with information I gave in my first post. and safe mode is not an option gives me 6 lines of text as shown in first post.

@Prof - the memtest does not work after booting it from a cd, it goes to a blackscreen like if I just let windows try and load up.
    edited September 2006
    MerlinatoR wrote:
    ...@Prof - the memtest does not work after booting it from a cd, it goes to a blackscreen like if I just let windows try and load up.
    Have you set your floppy or cdrom (whichever you're using for memtest) as the first boot drive? It sounds like it's still going for the hard drive. Memtest will start automatically if it boots from the disc properly.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I ran into a situation like this a few weeks ago, where the recovery console, windows, and the repair installer would not work no matter what. Blue screens, DLL errors, failures to load, etc.

The issue?

Bad file table. The only, and I do mean only, solution was to format the drive and start with a fresh table after I ran GetDataBack. This was prior to testdisk, which may be able to correct the issue, but I don't know.
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Have you set your floppy or cdrom (whichever you're using for memtest) as the first boot drive? It sounds like it's still going for the hard drive. Memtest will start automatically if it boots from the disc properly.

yup I selected the cdrom, but it just blackscreened me- I will probably have to just ask someone who has the same sort of setup as me if I can just switch some bits about to see whats working and not- Im really praying its not my HD as some of that stuff I really wouldnt want to lose.
  • edited September 2006
    problem fixed- although I dont know what the problem was :p I got a new HD and installed XP on it, then ran my old drive as a slave and all the data was fine. tried booting off it since to see if it cleared the problem but to no end.. I will now copy over anything I intend on keeping and format the drive.

thanks all for your help, bit of a process of elimination on this one.
    edited September 2006
    Glad you got it going. :cheers:

(I'd still try to run Memtest, though. :vimp: )