Problem when booting XP from SATA/IDE

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I've recently bought a new computer in parts, a new motherboard, grafic, memory and an additional SATA drive.

I have had my windows XP installation on a old IDE drive which I still uses combined with a CD/DVD RW in a master/slave setup. In addition to this I have two SATA drivers, connected as drive 1 and 2, not setup as a RAID.

The problem I have recently stumbled onto is the following:

I tried to start the computer and the bios couldn't find my IDE drive and it then refuced to start even though I have win XP installed both on the IDE drive and on the second SATA drive (in the first partition). I was going to remove the XP installation on the IDE drive but this happened first. Before I have been able to choose which of the two installation of XP that I wanted to use, the one on C: i.e. the IDE drive or the one on E: i.e. the second SATA drive.

I guessed there was some problem with the IDE drive so I removed it and also told the bios that there wasn't any IDE slave (the CD/DVD RW is the master) but then the system refused to boot since there wasn't any boot disc in the system. I then installed XP on an other even older IDE drive and it went ok to install (barely enough size though). But once I restart the system and don't have the XP installation disc in the CD/DVD the system refuses to start. If I have the XP installation disc in the CD/DVD and chooses not to start from the CD the new installations on the old IDE drive starts up, I no longer get the choice to start from my SATA drive.

Is there anybody here that can explain to me what the &#!!" I need to do to get XP/BIOS to understand that I have the installations on the SATA drive? I have a ASUS M2N motherboard where the boot order is set to CD/HD/Removable (I haven't any floppy drive installed)

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    Are the IDE drives using the CS (cable select) option? Or are they set to Master/Slave mode? If the former, then ensure that the HD is on the long end of the IDE cable and the optical drive is on the end closer to the motherboard connector. If the optical is on the secondary channel, then leave it on the end...otherwise set it as master on the secondary channel.

As far as the BIOS is concerned, since the OS is on the IDE drives, set the boot options to HARD DRIVE or equivalent meaning.

If you are trying to boot from the SATA drives (There is an option for "BOOT OTHER" on most motherboards, meant for USB devices, add in cards <SCSI, SATA, etc.> ), enable the BOOT OTHER option and the order to ADD-IN DEVICE, other, or a similar term, then the the second boot device to optical device. Then use the RAID BIOS to create your array, ensure that the XP CDROM is in the drive, have your SATA floppy disk ready with the drivers and start El Torito. It should be cut and dry from there, otherwise let us know. :)