Crooked PCI bracket

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Well i was installing a wireless card into a 2 year old gateway...not too sure about the model number etc...but i will look into it later
at any rate...when i installed the wireless card, it was impossible to put in...when i lined up the PCI card into the slot..the backet that would screw into the back was crooked...
(if you were looking down onto the motherboard, from the front. the bracket was slanted and was slanted to the left towards the bottom and a little too much towards the right on the top side IE: / )
at any rate, i couldnt install this, and i tried different PCI slots..and even took out the modem which was installed and used that PCI slot...and the same problem occurred... interestingly enough, there were no visible signs of slantedness when i looked at the card... at any rate

I took off the backet and installed it like that...could this cause a power surge? Also has anyone seen anything like this... i have an idea of how to correct it but im not 100% sure

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    How about you get some sleep and clean your glasses.
    Unless someone has stepped on the card it has to line up.
    It is either bent, or it isn't a PCI card.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    its a pci card i asssure u...because when i screwed it in...the card was not detected..BUT when i took off the braqcket and installed it..it was detected fine...i gues sill tell him to purchase a USB wireless card instead
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Is the little tab that clips in adjacent to the MB hitting the slot correctly? I've seen a lot of cards that had to be angled slightly while inserting them to get them to line up properly.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    well part of it is hitting it correctly...like the middle part...i mean it doesnt wanna clip in properly..im going to have to look at his place tonight or tomorrow
    \
    BUT
    will not having the bracket make the comp more suseptible to a static shock?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    no, but it will make it more succeptible to you bumping it and disloging the card from the pci slot.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Can you post a good picture of the card and the location where it's hanging up in the case?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Bet cha dollar to donuts your not getting the small end of the bracket into the little slot close to the mobo side as Prof said.
    I did the same thing when I started working on my first pc.
    And have seen others do the same until they figured the tilt thing out.
    You have to angle the card, get the end in the slot then set the card.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Another thing to check is the surrounding metal of the case itself. The Antec Sonata case I just built my wife's PC in had these little metal loops that the slot blanks fit into just fine, but the video card and some of the PCI cards that I installed into it sat crookedly until I cut off the metal loops on the case.