For Shalimar and Datsun1600

edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
Ongoing drama with a comp I've had for a month or 3. Copied form another forum for them two peoples.

"The ongoing saga of the P4.

I go tthe new HDD sorted, then thought I'd stick a new bling TT cooler on it. Wouldn't fit would it. So after rooting around on went the stock HSF. Wouldn't start after that. Just a pulse to the fan, then nothing.

Tried new PSU and smoke came out of the MB. So bugger it I took it to a shop and said can you test PSU and CPU and if they OK I"ll order a new board. Spoke to Datsun1600 about the MB. He sold it to me, I broke it. No worries he says, I'll send you a replacement. He's a farking legend I tell you.

Cut me legs off and call me shorty, it arrived today. Another AA8XE that he just happened to have lying around. Bloody legend. Comp shop rang me with diagnosis today.

Seems it's OK, nothing wrong with it, bit of fiddling at their end and she fired up!!!

I think he said reseated the CPU and put the hsf on properly. The smoke was probably a bit of thermal grease on a live track or something. Mebbe it was swamp gas reflecting of a weather balloon.

I am not gonna fiddle with it anymore, it's running sweet and picked up the 2 WU's where it left off.

Just call me Errol."

Oh, and g'day the rest of youse

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    Well g'day Errol.

You definitely need to practice on some of your older comps, so you get confident in what you are doing. Don't let this slight stumble, put you off, it is called a learning curve and for you it is very steep at the moment, we all have to start at the bottom.

You had me wondering if smack = ssmack, now i know.

Datsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    Hey Datsun

See you're over here with Shal.

Missing both of you at OCAU. DC forum is very quiet at the moment and distinctly lacking in character.

Keep well & Happy...

Cheers

Graham
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    Well g'day Errol. :Insert mutley hound dog laugh heeaa: :bigggrin:

Datsun 1600 sometimes you kill me, :bigggrin:

Lol's steve,

At least it is finally sorted, and as datsun say's you are on a steep learning curve. I have fried more than my fair shair of motherboards whilst my brother was trying to teach me how to build a pc.

In the end i finally done it and have built 4 including my personal pc which i am now typing on.

On one of my try's i forgot the metal stands that go under the motherboard "my brother was not home and i thought i would supprise him".

Yup suurrreee ya betsyia! i supprised him allright when he got home and i turned it on "what a light & sound show" it equalled the miami sound effects machine.

Suffice to say steve we all have to learn, and one of the biggest stumbling blocks for me was "seating the cpu & heatsink right and not forgetting to plug in the cpu fan to the board". "But i learnt"

Anyways i iz super happy you got Datsuns beast up and running now, should be a good little producer. :thumbsup:

Later Steve

:bigggrin: "Errol" :bigggrin: lol's
  • edited September 2006
    Undies on my head dance. Made it to page 2. Not red yet, but soon, very very soon.
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    Undies on my head dance. Made it to page 2. Not red yet, but soon, very very soon.
    Whaaaaat..... where's the tie??

Takes a bit of Boxen power to be able to stay above 1600PPD, but I know you will succeed.

Datsun 1600
    edited September 2006
    What have you got in the way of boxen that roxen now steve?

I iz curious.:)

Shal
  • edited September 2006
    Mt boxen database is up to date

http://ocau.mega-reviews.com/userinfo.asp?id=1266

All except the P4 2.4 are here at home. I think I may have 2 stray borgs out there still.

I've got this MB sitting here waiting for a cpu (I have a bid in)......
  • edited September 2006
    Won the cpu bid, it'll arrive next week. Got some ram off the legend. A cheap case and GPU will set me back $200. It'll be up and running in 3 weeks.

Off to the MotoGP for a beer with Geoff3dmn this weekend. His mum died early today, so it may be a sombre drink. Should catch up with a few from sub-team boky as well.
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    Won the cpu bid, it'll arrive next week. Got some ram off the legend. A cheap case and GPU will set me back $200. It'll be up and running in 3 weeks.

Off to the MotoGP for a beer with Geoff3dmn this weekend. His mum died early today, so it may be a sombre drink. Should catch up with a few from sub-team boky as well.

That should give you a nice little push steve, normally i would be happy but with the news of Geoff's mom passing away it is hard. For some reason i thought she was getting a little better but did not think it had progressed to that stage.

I hope he is okay, contacting him i think would be impossible at the moment. As i do not think Geoff will want to log on for a while, steve please give him my warmest wishes.

I would do it myself but have no email addy on him.

It always has to happen to the good people, it's not fair.

Shal
  • edited September 2006
    I see red, I see red, I see red!

blink and you'll miss it
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    I see red, I see red, I see red!

blink and you'll miss it

I telled you didn't i, i telled you that you would do it.

Now once you get that last one firing in a few weeks, thyself will be soaketh in RED okay ed.

ssmack is in da RED house. :thumbsup:

Later
  • edited September 2006
    I got a generic case, AA8XE extra bling 3rd eye. Some very nice bling ram that looks suspiciously unopened! A cheapo Geforce 6200 PCIE doohicky and a P4 530. I reckon a few more beers, some thermal paste and the help of the lord and I'll have a new box folding.

Should I come out of the closet and say I'm team 24 all the way?
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    I got a generic case, AA8XE extra bling 3rd eye. Some very nice bling ram that looks suspiciously unopened! A cheapo Geforce 6200 PCIE doohicky and a P4 530. I reckon a few more beers, some thermal paste and the help of the lord and I'll have a new box folding.

Shal's insert:
    EXCELLENT!!!!!

^^^^^ Steve, you need more beer, it will help your decission making! :vimp:

Later
  • edited September 2006
    grrr, PSU hasn't got a 24 pin connector. looks like it'll happen tomorrow night
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    grrr, PSU hasn't got a 24 pin connector. looks like it'll happen tomorrow night

No 24 pin connector plus another 24 hours!

The only thing that will get you through the next 24hrs is scotch or vodka "i mean beer just won't cut it", otherwise it gonna be rough on ya.

Shal
  • edited September 2006
    oh I dunno. Drank red wine on the island all weekend. Just having a beer or 7 to clear the mind.

Psst. log onto that other thing so I can send you a pic
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    oh I dunno. Drank red wine on the island all weekend. Just having a beer or 7 to clear the mind.

Psst. log onto that other thing so I can send you a pic

I am on now. :)
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:

The OCZ ran on an Asus P4 SLI board, with another matching pair, that are now sitting on the shelf, it is nice to have a spare few Gig.

Not to many beers!!!!!!!!!!

You are folding, that is all that matters.

Dartsun 1600
  • edited September 2006
    no more building tonight. Gotta change the case tomorrow. I'll get the same as the other P4 and have a matching pair.

Jeeze I got a right bollocking from the missus about it tho, she noticed the extra case. Must remember to buy the same case everytime. She can't be that smart :P
    edited September 2006
    The OCZ ran on an Asus P4 SLI board, with another matching pair, that are now sitting on the shelf, it is nice to have a spare few Gig.

Not to many beers!!!!!!!!!!

You are folding, that is all that matters.

Dartsun 1600

Amen to that.

Shal
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm right behind you guys. Got a 6700 at 3.6, a Merom at 2.1, a Yonah at 1.66, 3700+ at 2.5 and a 3200+ at stock crunching away here at home. Adding another 6300 at 3.5 ghz tomorrow. :ninja:
    edited September 2006
    I'm right behind you guys. Got a 6700 at 3.6, a Merom at 2.1, a Yonah at 1.66, 3700+ at 2.5 and a 3200+ at stock crunching away here at home. Adding another 6300 at 3.5 ghz tomorrow. :ninja:
    These are PCs I haven't got folding:
    P4 570J (3.8)
    P4 650 (3.4)
    P4 830 (3.0)
    Opteron 148 @ 3 Gig
    AM2 3800+
    FX-57

Datsun 1600
    edited September 2006

That is a nice collection of hardware you have there Swede, it should provide for a healthy boost in output.:)

We on the other hand are slowing right down now "not stopping" just slowing down as the weather is starting to warm up really fast around here.

As of 48hrs ago, we now have 20+ 3.4's & 3.6 Ghz intels sitting idle "shut down most of which have not folded for SM as of yet". After what the last summer cost us to run at max output, we certainly will not be pushing it this year. If it cools off for a little then we will re engage a few "not all of them" as the AC electric bills so totally destroy our budget.

But who knows, my brother calls the shots.....but for now it is slow down time for me.

Keep on folding baby. :thumbsup:

Later
  • edited September 2006
    I'm at the GPU and HSF install stage... taking it slow and easy
  • edited September 2006
    1 long beep. AF code
  • edited September 2006
    ya know, the shop should really check what GPU they give you. An AGP8 will not fit in a PCIE slot. Almost, but not quite......
  • edited September 2006
    Up and running. This building comps is easy as
    edited September 2006
    smack wrote:
    Up and running. This building comps is easy as
    If you take your time and triple check everything, it is easy.

Way to go and maybe full time RED.

Datsun 1600
  • edited October 2006
    Been red for a few days. Looks like I'll be wearing undies on my head for a while yet!
    edited October 2006
    smack wrote:
    Been red for a few days. Looks like I'll be wearing undies on my head for a while yet!
    Hopefully only around the house and not in public?

Could be just a tad embarassing.

Datsun 1600