quick RAID Q

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hi

Ive read wikis and FAQ etc etc but my Q is simple. I trust you lot on here and don't need to extensivly research on my day off when the sun is shining and that is a rarety here in UK:bigggrin:

So

1 Is it worth me getting a RAID 0 drive on my gaming PC?

2 Are raptors worth the extra cash.

Mickey, Trying to transform his UK tan into a golden one:celebrate

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2006
    From my experience raptors are worth the extra cash if you HAVE the money. I really like them, but if your on a tight budget you can use that extra cash towards say a better videocard or cpu...you understand what im saying. Mine was kinda loud, not sure if all of them are like that.
  • edited September 2006
    Hi mate,

Im just wondering how much faster they are. If two raptors are twice as fast as my single 'normal everyday' Harddrive then perhaps there worth it.
    If there not twice as fast - then there too much money.

So can anyone claryfy how much faster they are in RAID comapred to a single genral HD?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    check this out..

and this

and this one too....

read these articles and you should have a good idea about rapters VS raid VS single drive solutions.
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for the link mate,

Has anyone any idea whats the diff between the 8mb or 16mb cach versions and how much performance diff these acctually make?

Mickey
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    here is my opinion of RAID 0.

To summarize: NO to RAID 0 :)
  • edited September 2006
    Hello Prime

The net seems to be awash with mixed answers here.

Even from the links above we have sites saying how good RAID 0 is and others saying its very risky for not much gain.

OK, so im strongly concidering giving RAID 0 a miss after your link.

Are Raptor drives any good V normal SATA? Or is it not worth the extra money?

Is there a noticable diff between 8 and 16MB cahce versions?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I have 3 Raptors in my system and love them as they are lightning fast. Ever since I took apart my RAID-0 everything is better yet. I have one running my OS, one for apps and one for files. This is the best setup I have ever had for drives and I had used RAID with more than just 2 drives for many years. It only really helps with very larh file sizes and is actually a hindrence for small everyday files and access time which in my opinion is more important. Don't forget that it is not as reliable since the chance for failure is much greater.