Converting Word to .pdf

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I'm having problems getting a Word document to convert to a Adobe pdf file.

I have the pagemaker plugin for MS Word. I click it, choose the new name, and hit save. It gets precisely halfway through every time and hangs.

I've also tried printing to Adobe Distiller. I select the new name and it promptly tells me the print job has failed.

The machines in here are new so I know it isn't a resource problem, and they are running Windows XP and Office XP.

I work in the tech center, and all my coworkers just respond with "well, Adobe sucks". I'm hoping for a slightly more enlightened response here :)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Could you try another document? Maybe you can reinstall the plugin...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Other documents do the same, and I cannot print other programs (i.e. notepad) to the Distiller either. I've tried it on multiple machines so I don't think reinstalling will do anything. In any case, I don't have the software so that isn't an option.

All the machines are setup using network imaging, so we don't have the CDs laying about.

This may just fall under the unsolvable category :( Just thought I'd give it a go.
  • edited June 2003
    Worst case, you can always do it from their website...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, I went and got Tobin to convert it on his Mac for me :)

I'll put it on the Help Desk's to-do list and move on I suppose. Thanks for the attempt.
  • elektrikelektrik Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    Which version of Adobe Acrobat Pro are you using? I'm using v7 and it can't be any easier :) I just use the one-click convert button in word.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Reinstall it! Also, what version of Word are you using?

~dodo
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2003
    If you have the full version of Acrobat, make sure you intsall the PDF writer. This installs a printer driver, which you can select just as if you were changing printers or printing to a fax driver. Then you can "print" a PDF from ANY program that allows you to Print.

Dexter...
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Yep, that's how I do it. I'm using Acrobat 5.0 and by default it installs the PDF writer printer plug-in. That works a treat.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Acrobat 6 pwns, by the way.. I think I'm gonna do a review.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2003
    elektrik said
    Which version of Adobe Acrobat Pro are you using? I'm using v7 and it can't be any easier :) I just use the one-click convert button in word.

Version 7 is out?

Keeb: What are your settings for distiller? It may be a font/setting issue. If its crapping out in the middle, there's something that has been set in your options that causing it to crap out. Take a look at your options/settings and look for anything that doesn't make sense.

pdfwriter is a much simpler way to print.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Hey Keebler,

I'm running Adobe Acrobat 5.05. I've been in the same boat as you, many times, and have found two solutions...

1st - Make sure that Adobe Assistant (AcroTray.exe) is running in startup. This is nessecary for Adobe creator to work.

2nd - Make sure you have the XP fix installed ( http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1444 )

Hope that helps...
    edited June 2003
    Acrobat 5 is confusing - There's distiller and PDF writer:

PDF Writer is the "simple" way to make PDFs, but it ends up not working very often. Distiller is the way to go. In Acrobat 6, they got rid of the "two seperate ways" thing and just made a printer called "Adobe PDF"
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited June 2003
    That rocks. I remember there were subtle differences between PDF Writer and Distiller, but I could never remember which was which.

From what I hear the latest Acrobat is way too bloated - they're probably taking the product in different directions, as some sort of enterprise application or something, is 6 the previous version?
  • elektrikelektrik Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    maxanon said
    elektrik said

Version 7 is out?

Keeb: What are your settings for distiller? It may be a font/setting issue. If its crapping out in the middle, there's something that has been set in your options that causing it to crap out. Take a look at your options/settings and look for anything that doesn't make sense.

pdfwriter is a much simpler way to print.

err umm sorry I meant version 6, got confused with Drive Image 7 :o
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you could also look at ghostwriter (i think that's what it's called) it's an open source app that you can use to make PDFs too, best of all it's free.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    re-install reader. My computer at work f's up from time to time with distiller. after a quick re-install of reader it works just fine
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Or you could try OOo... www.OpenOffice.org

Completely free!
    edited June 2003
    MicroMan said
    re-install reader. My computer at work f's up from time to time with distiller. after a quick re-install of reader it works just fine

Nice avatar, guy!:eek: