Is My Old Computer Trash Now?

WISKINITAWISKINITA san antonio, TEXAS
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Just Bought A New Dell. What Do I Do With The Dinosaur Gateway From 1998 With The Pentium Iii And Huge Monitor That I Now Have Sitting In The Corner.

I Know There Is A Company That Takes Old Computers And Mines The Gold Out Of Them-right?

I Need Some Ideas Besides - And I Know Ebay Is An Option. But What Would You Do???????? Anyone?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2006
    a church would always appreciate a nice donation.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I keep all of my old PCs and pieces on a shelf in my workshop because I can't bear to throw any of it away. That's proly not a good solution, but that's what I do.
  • WISKINITAWISKINITA san antonio, TEXAS
    edited September 2006
    Thanks. Church is one idea. And keeping it for parts, etc. is also a good one. Only problem with donating is that it runs so slow.

I've cleaned it up, defragged, bought new Norton Anti 2006, test ran free trial processes sweeper and reg key scanner, and many other things, but nothing seems to bring it back to the speed at which is USED to run. So I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.

Thanks again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    WISKINITA wrote:
    ...bought new Norton Anti 2006...but nothing seems to bring it back to the speed at which is USED to run...
    Get rid of Norton and go with a free program like AVG. In the past few years, Norton has become such a resource hog that it can bring even a new computer to its knees.

How much RAM is in the old machine? That would be a simple upgrade which would probably have quite an impact on performance. Even an old PII can be a useful machine for basic office tasks, email, and the Internet, as long as it has enough memory to keep from hitting the hard drive very few seconds. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Norton Antivirus 2006 will severely slow down any machine, much less one that old.
    edited September 2006
    It started getting super slow before I got the N AV 06. And the older antivirus was out of date. So I thought, I should just get a new antivirus and clean this booger up! And installed the processes cleaner (?) free trial by microsoft. It seems to run a little better, but no where near what it did back in the day. But that is prolly because in '99 webpages and the like weren't so loaded with banners, content, flash, video, etc. Anytime I run aim or any app really, my page file useage goes almost to max and my CPU clocks out at 100% for long periods of time-and I can't do more than 1 thing at a time.

I would like to figure out the best way to clean it up to serve as simply a web browsing machine, or offline document machine-just to keep it simple. Since I'm getting my new computer soon, I am wondering if there is anything drastic that I can do to it, to make this old fart run faster. (without putting a dime into it). ??? Unistall/Reinstall Windows? Dload an amazing application?

Thank you to all for your help. AVG huh? I'll have to google it. I don't know anything about AVG. Would it be compatible with XP 64 bit? Is it a full version?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    download.com and search for AVG Free

That or NOD32 is easily the best antivirustools out there. Make sure to support the producers of the programs if you like them.
    edited September 2006
    WISKINITA, try posting a HijackThis log here. If we can spot something rotten we'll send you over to our resident Spyware/Virus/Trojan experts for an overhaul.

How much RAM is in the machine? :)
    edited September 2006
    Prof - thanks a bunch. I will get back to you on this. I am at work until 12am Central tonight. I will download Hijack This and try to figure out how to post that log. I will also check on the RAM. If you cannot tell, I am definitely a novice at all of this stuff but am thankful for finding SHORT-MEDIA.COM to brush up on my skills. Ha ha, my COMPUTER SKILLS!
    edited September 2006
    If you right-click on "My Computer" then left-click on "Properties" it will show you a screen with the speed of your CPU and the amount of RAM you have listed near the bottom. You can also get there by going to Control Panel and clicking on "System". :)
  • edited September 2006
    The best way to speed that old machine up, especially if you are thinking of donating it, is to do a complete wipe and reload of your operating system (I'm guessing Win98 or WinMe with that old system). Plus, if you donate it to a church, that is a legitimate tax deduction too, saving you a little more money from Uncle Sam's greedy fingers.
    edited September 2006
    ohhhhhhhh man...... shield your eyes guys! the RAM reading... well, let's really make it hurt. 596MHz, 128 MB of RAM. That's right, I said MEGA.

You know, come to think of it....it's probably not so much that my system has slowed down...I bet it's just that I've become so used to how much OTHER systems have sped up! Highjack this log will follow soon.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    WISKINITA wrote:
    ohhhhhhhh man...... shield your eyes guys! the RAM reading... well, let's really make it hurt. 596MHz, 128 MB of RAM. That's right, I said MEGA.

You know, come to think of it....it's probably not so much that my system has slowed down...I bet it's just that I've become so used to how much OTHER systems have sped up! Highjack this log will follow soon.

if found 256mb, or 512mb of ram to put in that thing, you would notice a considerable speed improvement, then it would offer quite a bit of functionality for a church or some other organization. Looks like you have an early PIII, or is it a PII? if it is a Pentium 3, I have the exact processor (along with the other parts ) sitting under my desk in a box. it is a pretty nice little system that will handle Microsoft Office, Internet Browsing, and Email just perfect; I had it running XP pro until I got my new A64 system 2 years ago.
    edited September 2006
    here is the deal: it runs XP Pro SP2, it is a p3 at 128MB ram and 596MHz. and i have an external Maxtor hardrive on it as well. it is just so slow i had to get a whole new computer. i'll be back shortly with the Hijack log. I'm looking for it to download and get it working right now. If I keep it, would there be any parts to take out of it that I could add to the new computer?
    edited September 2006
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 5:01:42 AM, on 9/10/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SECURI~1\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Wiski\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis_199.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.excite.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = sas.r3.attbi.com:8000
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.r3.attbi.com
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec

Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Norton GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton

Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O12 - Plugin for .qcp: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
    O12 - Plugin for ôå: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
    O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
    O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) -

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/axscanner.cab
    O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.150/19ec8ea141e625306d00/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) -

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E855A2D4-987E-4F3B-A51C-64D10A7E2479} (EPSImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/activex/EPSControl_v1-0-3-0.cab
    O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/hpdj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?312
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet

Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
    O23 - Service: GoBack Polling Service (GBPoll) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton

AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton UnErase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security

Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    edited September 2006
    anyone know what this means or if anything listed could be malicious?
    edited September 2006
    There doesn't appear to be any rotten stuff in your log. I would tell you that Norton is going to kill the performance of any computer more than a year old. Trade it in for a free program like AVG and get rid of the bloatware. :)

Sorry it took so long to respond - it's been a busy week. :o
    edited September 2006
    oh no prob what-so-ever. Thank you for the look over.

The new computer still hasn't arrived yet. I'm frantically searching reviews and what not to find the best av software out there and taking everyone's input into consideration. I just want the piece of mind to know that my investment is protected. I am liking NOD32 and AVG so far. Still reviewing and deciding.

I think I'm going to plug in my new computer online and then make the final av purchase. Just pray that I don't get anything bad on it as I'm purchasing the av software, but I guess that is a gamble I have to take.

Anyone with ideas about that? I am thinking that my new computer's Microsoft System protection (that is comes with already) will guard it while I make the purchase and then activate it (immediately). Is that safe to assume?
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited September 2006
    WISKI, you could clear it of unused programs and windows features and use it as network storage, media, apps and downloads...
    edited September 2006
    Download the free version of AVG before you remove Norton. While you are uninstalling Norton and installing AVG, leave your network cable unplugged. Once AVG is up and running, plug the cable in and update it. :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    NOD32 and AVG are both very good AV's. you'd be in good hands with either.
    edited September 2006
    well, in a blazing furry of confusion, i found out this: BitDefender Internet v10 (actually anything by this company) IS NOT 64 Bit compatible. They said to wait until the winter before they will have a version to support 64. Had to get a REFUND!

So I simply just googled xp64 antivirus software and the only thing that came up that looked familiar or compatible was AVAST so I got that. It works fine as far as I can tell. It was also free. But I am still looking at NOD32 and AVG because I want to purchase the real deal when I have a few more options open up. Is it safe to assume that paying for the full versions is going to better protect my computer? Is the newest, best reviewed, subscribed, fee-based AV the best and most reliable? I am kinda getting the feeling that they are all 'pretty good' and will do the job until something extremely crazy comes out (virus wise) and one AV just happened to accidentally perform better than all the others did.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I may need to be corrected, but I think 64-bit compatability should be a non-issue for you. Let me explain.

The Dell you bought is, in all likelihood, still running the 32-bit version of Windows XP Pro. All 64-bit processors can run 32-bit ("normal") software. When you read that information saying that the program was not 64-bit compatible, it meant not compatible with a 64-bit operating system (like the 64-bit version of Windows XP Pro). To my knowledge, Dell does not sell systems that come with 64-bit Windows by default. Therefore, you should be fine running non-64-bit software on it. :)

I'm not really up on my 64-bit knowledge, but that's how I currently understand it at least.
    edited September 2006
    Thanks Matt. That is very helpful info where it applies and of course just added to MY 64 bit knowledge as well.

But I did purchase the Dell Workstation with the 64 bit processors AND the Windows XP pro 64 Bit OS. Then I bought the Bitdefender AV. When it didn't work, I contacted them and they told me it won't work on 64 bit OS until around the winter time. So I got a refund and an invite to purchase the new versions in a few months. Hope that helps anyone out there in the same boat as me.

Take care.