Speakers aren't working :(

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Hello all,

I opened my computer because i was gonna install a hard drive (but i didn't). I dont think i moved any wires. When i re booted my computer the speakers weren't working for some reason.

Whenever i play something no sound comes from speakers.

The speakers work cuz when i connected my ipod to the speakers it gave sound.

Also at the back of the comuter i also have my microphone connected and it also seemed to have stoped working. The microphone wire Is in the same row as my speaker wire.

I re opened my computer to see if there were any loose power cables...but there weren't. I tookem out and put them back in but it still doesn't work! :eek3:

Also whenever i boot my computer i always hear a woman saying "...power on self test, computer now botting from operating system" ... she doesn't speak no more either :eek:

Can someone please help me out!! Thanks alot!

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2006
    NewGuy wrote:
    Also whenever i boot my computer i always hear a woman saying "...power on self test, computer now botting from operating system" ... she doesn't speak no more either :eek:
    That might be because your speakers don't work.... ;D
  • edited September 2006
    No the speakers work cuz i tested them with my ipod!

something is wrong with the computer!

I went to control panel > sound and audio devices as well...The sound playback, recording device is what its supposed to be.

anyone know what the problem is?
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited September 2006
    This might be a stupid question but are the speakers plugged into the green audio jack? The microphone should be in the pink jack.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    also check in the control pannel, for some reason my system will default to mute every now and then.
  • edited September 2006
    Yes they are plugged in right. I even tried putting the wire in the blue,black,orage,grey,pink jacks but no luck.
  • edited September 2006
    Nothing is on mute either :(

I went to the sound effect manager in control panel and clicked the "connecter sensing" option. It doesn't seem to 'sense' my speakers or the mic. :grr:
  • edited September 2006
    guys do u think its possible that only the two rows that contain mic, speaker jacks etc are the only i/o ports that aren't working? every i/o port above those works but its just those jacks that seem to be having a problem. I hope its just a computer problem and not a hardware. :eek3: cuz then ill have to get it repaired :hair:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    these plugs can be configured for different uses, perhaps this config has gotten hashed. This should be a mobo utility to configure them.
    edited September 2006
    Perhaps it got turned off in BIOS (assuming it's on-board with the woman's voice)?

Do you know the model number of the motherboard? If we know the model we could guide you through the BIOS to check.
  • edited September 2006
    here are my pc specs:

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    250GB HD SATAII
    1GB Ocz ram
    XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800GS

i think thats about it

I just installed windows xp sp2 on this hard drive. (thanks to park for helping me recover files on my old hard drive :cheers: ) the speakers still dont give any sound hmm... i will check bios and reply again
  • edited September 2006
    I checked bios but i didn't really know what to check :-/

this is the only thing that i found about sound...and it was enabled:

Instant Music [Enabled]
    Instant Music CD-ROM [Primary Slave]

im sure theres probably something else but i dont know what :scratch:
    edited September 2006
    Inside the BIOS:

"Advanced" tab followed by "Onboard Devices Configuration". Make sure the option "AC97 Audio" is set to "Enabled"
  • edited September 2006
    Yes it is set to enabled :(
    edited September 2006
    It's hard to see what's wrong when you can't see what's wrong.

I want you to inspect Device Manager to see if there are IRQ conflicts or general driver errors.

Start > Run > "sysdm.cpl". Hardware tab > Device Manager.

Conflicts and errors are automatically expanded trees with a yellow "!" on top of the device. Are there any?
  • edited September 2006
    i see yellow question marks. this is what they are

-? Othe Devices

Canon S520
    Canon S520
    Ethernet Controller
    RAID Controller
    Uknown device

they all have a yellow question mark beside them (i didnt install the driver for the canon S520 so thats why its probably an 'uknown device")
  • edited September 2006
    well i think it is a sound card problem... I will call in a computer technician and see if he can find the problem... i guess the only other solution is to buy a new sound card

thanks for the help guys! :wink:
  • edited September 2006
    hey guys,

i tried playing something using linux knoppix (live dvd) and still didn't work :(. Maybe it is a hardware problem after all :sad2:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I bet your "unknown device" is your sound card. Clearly, the Canon S520 is detected as a 520, because it was in the list. Download this and this (right click, save link/target as...) to the SAME FOLDER, and run the program. List everything that's there under an orange question mark..
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    if this all started happening after you opened the case, chances are physically a cable is no longer fully attached.

It would be worth double and triple checking, especially if your speakers are not plugged in directly to the onboard sound on your mobo. If you have one of those soundcard extensions to a case opening, or a seperate sound card by itself...I'd look in to that.

If you are in device manager is it even listing your soundcard? Can you take a pic of the back of your case with a digi cam/phone and show it to us? Same with the inside?
  • edited September 2006
    I see an orange question mark here:

PCI standard ISA bridge
    -Chip: Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCI to ISA Bridge

Ethernet Controller

-ASUSTeK Computer Inc Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    -Chip: Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

I will post pictures as soon as i find the cd containing the driver to my webcam! and i dont have a separate soundcard....

i 4got to tell u this earlier....the power also went out in my room (and only in my room...) before my speakers stopped working (and my computer was on). i doubt this has anythin to do with it though...
  • edited November 2006
    Hello guys... ive been going without sound for months but now its getting frustrating. I need to use ventrilo but mic and speakers dont work. Thats jus one of the reasons i need it...

Anyway i tried looking hard for the webcam driver....i couldn't find it for so long since the stupid cam doesn't have anything on it...not sticker/label/company name. anyway...i found it and took some pics of the computer: (one of them shows the speaker wire plugged in):
  • edited November 2006
    Here are pics of the inside... Its really messy from the inside...i doubt you will get any information. The first pic is a pic of the whole inside. The other two are pics of the "internal audio connectos" which are right next to the speaker wire ...but on the inside.