TV Burned out...

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Okay, we have a 52'' Projection TV, and we've had it for about a year now. Two days ago, we were watching tv, and it started to make a loud noise and then it just turned of automatically. Then, everytime I try to turn it on, it does the same thing, makes the noise, and shuts itself off. So I tried turning it on this time, and I think I saw some sparks on the inside. I can't actually see the inside, but I saw a jolt of light come and go through the little slits they have on TVs and monitors. I haven't tried turning it on since. We bought it from best buy, unfortunaly, without a warranty. We had Manufacturer's warranty, which ran out already, and I called GE, and they tell you to pack the TV in a box along with your name, adress, and problem, and mail it to them. Like WTF it's a ****ing 200+ pound TV, and you want me to mail it to you so that I can pay $100+ for the shipping one way, pay probably over $300 for it to be repaired, then another $100 to ship it back???? I could go buy another TV with that.... Anyway, I called a local repair shop, and they said they'd get back to me on Monday, so I'm waiting. I was just wondering what could be wrong. If they say they won't do it or charge over $300, my dad says that we should try and fix it ourselves, and then if it doesnt work, we'll just buy a new one.

So any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks again.

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    A warranty on a <1 year old piece of electronic equipment that size and (I would imagine) equally as large of a cost has already come and gone?

What about a warranty of mercantibility, seems like a viable excuse. A TV is meant to last more than a year under normal operating conditions.

As for what to do or what could be wrong, I have no idea.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2006
    Well we bought it used, so I think the warranty is gone already. I'm just going by what my dad told me, I wasn't here when they bought it or anything so I don't really know.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Might be the bulb to the projector, which runs a $100 or more iirc.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited September 2006
    What kind of TV is it?

Brand, Model, year, etc.

If its a DLP or Rear projection LCD (ie HD 720p), then It has a bulb that can burn out, DLPs have moving parts like a color wheel and fans. A RP LCD would also have a fan and possible an Iris control (limits how much light comes from the bulb to imporve contrast) If any of these parts goes bad, the TV may shut down. If it is an RP CRT (hd 1080i), the more tradditional type of big screen, then there may not be a fan, and it could be a power supply issue or worse. Check out hidefforum.com Post your isse in the correct place, and you will get some great info.

If you are considering whether to junk it or fix it, consider the cost of a new one versus the repair. It should not cost much to have diagnostic to determine this... There are services that come to your house to do repairs. Some parts like bulbs are not to pricey, other parts can be in the 300-400 range. with out more info its hard to tell.
    edited September 2006
    What kind of TV is it?

Brand, Model, year, etc.
    GE, I'll Check, I'll Check, Warranty's out, HD Ready
  • edited September 2006
    Sounds like its power supply died. Fixing that yourself w/o knowing what you're looking at is a fast way to kill yourself, or at the very least damage the set even more.

Bothered does AV repair as I recall...
    edited September 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Sounds like its power supply died. Fixing that yourself w/o knowing what you're looking at is a fast way to kill yourself, or at the very least damage the set even more.

Bothered does AV repair as I recall...
    So I can't just go out and buy a new power supply like I can with a computer and replace it?
    edited September 2006
    Ok I just opened up the "case" and I found that one of the parts seemed burnt. I closed it up already, and then realized I should've taken pictures, so If I open it again, I will take pictures, but till then I'll do my best to describe what's going on.

The part itself is mainly plastic, and just a bit of it seems melted, and blackened, and when I saw the sparks through the slits, they seemed to be coming from the spot where this part is located, leading me to think it's what's causing the problem. It had a small number on top that seemed stamped on it, and I couldn't figure out what it was. The print was pretty big and it said "S 7 12 2" and on the side in some really, really tiny print, it said "3C30-0649656". Behind the part, or in front actually (the side facing the actual screen) it said "Orega 40351A-1" followed by this below it: "10766930 NC". Below all of this, it said "P2" and there was what seemed to be a logo of a company which looked like a backwards "R" connected to a "U". I have no idea what any of this is, so I'm hoping one of you will. Thanks again.

EDIT: I think this is exactly what it was.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Orega-Thomson-Line-Output-Transformer-40351A-1-NEW_W0QQitemZ280026338902QQihZ018QQcategoryZ67815QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    So it's a transformer, I guess. So now if I bought that, how would I take the other one of the board. I tried and tried but could not figure out how to take iit off the board it was "clipped" onto. It is not on the main motherboard, but a cream colored secondary board right next to it.
  • edited September 2006
    How big was it? It sounds like a flyback transformer, in which case they can be really expensive to replace, but sometimes you luck out. Keep in mind this is also the device that creates the high voltage/current that'll be able to stop your heart, so make sure the caps actually discharged before you mess with it at all (they'll be really big, can-like devices... like a much larger version of the capacitors on your computer's motherboard).

Post some pics the next time you go in there.

EDIT: I'm sure its also soldered in to the back of the board. Do you know how to solder/desolder?

Also, whats the exact model number of the set? Do you know what kind of projection TV it is?
    edited September 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    How big was it? It sounds like a flyback transformer, in which case they can be really expensive to replace, but sometimes you luck out. Post some pics the next time you go in there.

Also, whats the exact model number of the set? Do you know what kind of projection TV it is?
    I'll make sure to get pics next time. It is a rear projection, and I've been trying to find the bill so I can tell you the model number, but my dad is out of town, so I can't say. I tried to find a number on the set to, but if it was a sticker, it's not there, and if it is engraved, I don't know where the hell it is, because I looked behind it, in front, on top, everywhere except under it.
    edited September 2006
    I personally wouldnt touch it, you touch the wrong thing and you are toast, I know a kid that was working on a microwave, and guess what, he zapped himself; dead.
  • edited September 2006
    Did you know him well?
    edited September 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    EDIT: I'm sure its also soldered in to the back of the board. Do you know how to solder/desolder?
    My dad would, but I don't want to risk that. The idiots at the repair shop didn't call and I can't get in touch with them. I hate when they tell you they'll call back but never do.
    edited September 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Did you know him well?

no,he was a friend of one of my cousins. who is way on the other side of the family, on the other side of the country. Which, if you no my family, is a big gap. My mom has 7 sisters and 2 brothers. which all have kids, which a lot have kids.

All of my cousins are older than me. My mom was the baby of the family, I have cousins that are around 30 years old. Some I havent seen. I just heard about it through my family. Mainly from my grandma, which I feel sorry for because she has 9 kids, and then like 30 or more grandkids, and now she is working on 5 or 6 great grandchildren so far!!!