My computer wont boot

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Sorry if not very much is specific, but if there is anything I should be more specific about, please tell me about that and I will do my best to specify. I have been through the whole "check here before you post" and none of it helped me.

I just moved to a new house, unpacked my computer and set it up, and when I powered it on, first it took a lot of time to just get past the first screen and then the following screen, which is usually just the windows xp logo, did not pop up. Instead I was greeted by a grey screen and a recurring clack sound from my CPU, which very much sounded like a jumping record of some sort. I've been going through many "recovery and analysis disks" such as "Ultimate boot CD" and a RAM tester called Memtest86. The prior showed no problem with my ram, and the ultimate disk was not particularly useful either, because the wizard for my Samsung hard drive showed no options for analyzing any errors with my hard drive. I have attempted to reset the BIOS and that didn’t work. What I would like to try and achieve is just to be able to recover my files from my hard drive and/or get my computer back to a working state without having to reformat and reinstall my operating system. I am getting a sneaking suspicion that this problem could very well be physical due to the fact that just before I packed my computer it worked perfectly, or at least without any significant problems and just now when I packed it up, it didn’t.
Here are my specs: Hard drive Samsung SP1604N
768 megabytes of ram
AMD athlon 1250 Megahertz

My first boot screen reads:
Detecting Pri Master…..IDE Hard disk
Detecting Pri Slave……not detected
Detecting Sec Master….ATAPI CD Rom
Detecting Sec Slave……not detected

So I guess my question is: what do I do next? Is there anything I can do? I would really appreciate all possible help especially if it is very quick due to the urgency of the situation, and may I just whole heartedly thank anyone who actually read this post.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    That clacking noise is almost certainly the hard drive in its death throes. Here are the options you have:

1) Professional data recovery. This is the best bet if you absolutely can not afford to lose your data, but it can be expensive.

2) Try data recovery on your own. You will need another computer (which is not a laptop) in order to do this.

Download the drive testing software from Samsung and see what it says. Other than that, do not run the computer at all until you have made a decision between #1 and #2 above. We'll be happy to advise you as to the next step once the drive has been tested and you decide how you want to proceed. If you have any questions, just ask. :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I would try reseating the memory, video card, any other cards and IDE cables first. Make sure the power is unpluged before hand.