my computer will not boot into windows

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

my name is John Halbit, and i have been searching the net for a while now trying to see if anyone has had addressed a similiar problem with thier computer. I had no luck so, i was wondering if someone out there could please share some insite.

I have a pentium 3, 556E mhz, it says touch on the case in the front, the bios is an award modular v4.51PG, from 11/26/1999. It was given to me and it had win 9x on it. I reformated it and put windows 2ooo.

This is where the problem started to arize. During the configuiration process I was able to succefully boot into th windows 2000 gui, but when ever I was to install any program on my computer (avg, win 2k service pack 4, nero burning rom) that required for me to restart the computer it would then freeze up.

it would boot the first screen:

it performs a memory test; 393216k

detecting ide primary master ........maxtor 6L020J1
detecting ide primary slave ........none
detecting ide secondary master ........HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B
detecting ide secondary slave ..........none

on the second screen:

verifying dmi pool data..........

on the third screen:

starting windows...

it would freeze on this screen

on the bottom it says for troublshooting and advanced startup options for windows 2000, press F8. It does not do anything for me.

I have also tried to boot into safe mode but this only returns a black screen. I have also tried to reformat the computer a few times to see if the problem would go away, this didnot work.

Can someone please help me with this problem.