Keyboard Mapping problem

BrettSDBrettSD San Diego, CA New
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello,
My friend recommended this site explaining that you guys were good at quick and accurate fixes in a variety of problems.

My problem basically boils down to this...

My friend has a habit of running her hands over her keyboard when she's bored or reading. Tonight while doing this she has seemed to have hit something that remapped numbers onto the alphabet part of her keyboard.

For example the numbers 1-0 are now produced when she hits A-Z. Not all of the letters now produce numbers.

I can't figure out what she did or how to fix it. I'm not sure if it has to do with a number lock button or what. The button itself isn't stuck down.

She's using a laptop, fyi.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It sounds like she hit the notebook's version of the num lock button. Look for the key that has a picture of a lock on it, most likely in a different color than the white that the keys are labeled in. On my notebook, it appears on the "scoll" key, a small blue lock inside a square underneath. You will most likely need to press the "Function" or "Fn" key on the keyboard while pressing the key with the lock on it, and the num lock will turn off. I've accidentally left the num lock on with my notebook's keyboard and it's a real bother, especially when trying to type in a password!

Post back if it still gives you trouble.

And welcome to Short-Media! Your friend sent you to the right place. :thumbsup: