HDD Problem

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello all,
I am having a problem with a new hdd I installed. It is a 320gb Seagate Barracuda. It is brand new and unformatted. When I boot up the hdd is seen by the bios, and in XP I can see the drive in device manager. But I cannot see it in My computer. How can I access the drive and format it? Also, I noticed in the bios, the drive is listed as sata 1, not sata 2. How can I correct this? The hdd came from Newegg in a plastic clamshell with documents whatsoever. Any help would be great. Thanks.:confused2

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2006
    the disk needs to be "initilaized" in windows. to do this

right click my computer and choose manage.
    on the list on the left choose disk managment.
    in there, you will find new newly added hard drive. it shows up as a white box with a black bar on the top, blue means a basic disk that is online, green are dynamic discs, and black are unformatted space.

now then, right click the white box with the black bar at the top and choose initialize disk, create a basic disk with a lable if you choose. and moke sure you do a QUICK format, or it will take hours.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    Hello all,
    I am having a problem with a new hdd I installed. It is a 320gb Seagate Barracuda. It is brand new and unformatted. When I boot up the hdd is seen by the bios, and in XP I can see the drive in device manager. But I cannot see it in My computer. How can I access the drive and format it? Also, I noticed in the bios, the drive is listed as sata 1, not sata 2. How can I correct this? The hdd came from Newegg in a plastic clamshell with documents whatsoever. Any help would be great. Thanks.:confused2
    Armo's procedural methods are correct. Good luck!