XP Won't Boot Up

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello and thanks for the help-

My system has been working fine. Then I received the following error message-
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\system

I located on this site a fix called "Repairing Windows XP in 8 Commands" and I followed those directions.
Now I receive this error message-

Stop: c0000218 {Registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Thanks again for any assistance,
Kim

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2006
    I'm not very good with this kinda stuff but I'd say try putting in an xp disc on bootup and try to do a repair.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I'm not very good with this kinda stuff but I'd say try putting in an xp disc on bootup and try to do a repair.
    Agreed.

In the long run it will likely save you time and should also leave your data intact.
  • edited September 2006
    When I boot to xp cd I do not have a repair option for the installation. That means if I continue I will get a fresh install and lose all settings. I tried the repair throught the "repair console" as outlined in the "repair xp in 8 commands" (http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313). That did not fix my problem.

I may be doing a fresh install if no one has a suggestion...but would like to avoid it.

Thanks Kim
    edited September 2006
    How far into the Repair Install process are you getting before you decide that it can't be done? It starts out looking like a clean installation at first. Once Windows Setup examines the drive and finds the existing installation it then offers you the choice of repairing it. It's not available right from the get-go. :)
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks so much. I was thinking that repair was an option on the opening screen. I'll go back and select install and see if repair comes up!

Thanks again.

Kim
  • edited September 2006
    I went about 6 screens into the installation and received a warning that continuing would overwrite my existing windows installation and no repair option ever was presented?

Kim
    edited September 2006
    Do you get the option shown in the third picture at this site?
  • edited September 2006
    Hey thanks for the reply...
    Nope. I didn't get that screen. I followed the path of the the first two pictures but did not get an option to repair windows. I continued about 3 more screens until it became obvious that I was going to overwrite exiting installation.

Kim