New Yearbook Computers

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Im so HAPPY!!!!

The attached image shows what we got:vimp:

Im the happiest about Xeon branded Core 2 processors, and 17" LCD which is huge compared to the 8 year old 14" imacs that we've had. Im so happy I could squeal.:vimp:

We only got two though, but still, really nice computers. I get one, and then leslie gets the other, and the other suckers on staff get stuck working with 8 year old macs.. hah hah hah!:p

They were actually $1900 a piece, but we got $300 off per system because of some kind of deal dell was doing, so we got lucky.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    will they let you fold?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Good question :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Im in charge of them;) (my productions gonna fly:vimp:)

how many ppd do you think they will pump out? I might be able to get them to sneak into running 24/7, but our energy czar takes his job a little to seriously in my opinion. anyway, I might be able to hide the fact that they are on by setting them to turn the monitors off after 20 minutes.

but lets say running 8 hours a day out so, what do you think they will do each?

now I just have to get her to buy me one of these:tongue: I doubt that is gonna happen though. She didnt even really want LCDs, she wanted old CRTs. but we convinced her otherwise.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    They are in! They came in late friday, so that is awesome.

I got tehm unboxed, setup and running today. The only thing that is pissing me off is on of the fans is already bad, appears to be the one that they have mounted over the ram. sounds like abearing is bad or something. gonna call dell and get them to send me a new fan.

anyway, I also put F@H on them:D

I do have one question, if I were to enable hyperthreading, what would I experience, a performance increase, or a performance degredation? I have the Xeon 5110 in it, which is a dual core C2 based chip iirc.

I was surprised that hyperthreading was an option but the manual makes reference to it, and it is in the bios. Right now I have two F@H instances running on each processor, so I have 4 new cores churning away for me abd more importantly, the team.:vimp:

mostly what will be done on the machines is multimedia stuff, internet stuff mainly, because our publishing app is online, which should run perfectly on these machines. and then I will be doing a lot of work inside photoshop. Leslie may too, depends if I can get her to catch on.