How do my ps/2 ports die?!?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
My lord...at any rate...out of nowhere my comp totally froze and i got this weird beeping noise whenever i clicked on the mouse or on the jkeyboard.. so i restarted..and the mouse/leyboard didnt work...so i tried out the USB, and that totally worked..then i tried a simple keyboard plugged into the usb port...and NOTHING!!
so how could this have happened..and how long do u think my comp has before it blows up?

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    ps2 ports were not designed to be hot swappable such as usb or firewire ports were. The problems you are having can be caused by a bad connection within your keyboard or mouse, and also with a somewhat fried ps2 port probably cause by lots of removing or movement in the port while something was pluged in.

Try another keyboard and make sure, because that would suck for one reason. You probably wont be able to edit your bios with a usb keyboard.

:honoes:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    i did actually edit bios with a usb keyboard..pretty flawlessly as well
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Any motherboard with legacy USB support (Most) will allow you to edit the BIOS via USB. Asus A7V, my Abit KX7-333R/NF7-S 2.0 and P5B-DLX all did it.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    my nf7s 2.0 does not let me. I guess it's the keyboard or something. I'll play around with other ports.