Did I lose my BIOS?

indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
edited September 2006 in Hardware
after a day or so of not being able to access my BIOS (pressing DEL would just shut down the computer:skeptic: )...I can no longer boot.

In an attempt to reset, I removed and the jumper on the board and put it back...Now it turns on but no BEEP, no signal to the monitor...things are running, just no BEEP...is that a lost BIOS, meaning I need to reflash it...or something more dire?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
    edited September 2006
    I called ASUS and the fella had me remove the RAM from my mobo, the mobo talked to me and said "failed memory test" or whatever...so I imagine the mobo is fine. He said it was either my RAM or video card now. Thoughts?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Well of course it's going to give you a "Failed memory test" code if you remove your memory. Do you have any other memory you can try? Or try the sticks one at a time.

I'm not, and never will be, convinced that a company's tech support knows what's going on.
    edited September 2006
    Well, I imagine if the mobo yells at me...it somewhat suggests it's OK. Doing one stick at a time results in the no signal to the display and no "beep"

I only have some 333 RAM I can test next.

Either way...if the RAM is bad, why would my monitor still show no signal coming in? Unfortunately I don't have another videocard to test.
    edited September 2006
    OK So...the tech was wrong. The videocard is fine. It all booted fine w/ the 512MB 333 stick I had laying around. But the Corsair RAM runs fine in my other computer...so the RAM is not toast either...what gives?

Something is not quite right on my afflicted rig though...things are hic-upy, music studders, video chops and the mouse twitches at same intervals. It was doing this before my boot issue. May be for another thread though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Told you the tech was wrong. Sounds like you ran into an incompatability between your RAM and the motherboard you're using, or somehow the BIOS settings were changed. Consult your motherboard's manual and find out how to set the loosest (Biggest numbers) on the memory that you can. Try to set it to 4/4/4 or worse if possible.

We'll see if we can get the corsair working on your PC first, then we'll move on to the windows issues.
    edited September 2006
    Alright, things seem to have reset themselves after I used the DDR333 RAM to get the system back up. Everything is on factory defaults for the moment.

Now...the studdering continues, it's system-wide...framerates dip, sound and video jerks, the mouse cursor pauses...all at regular one second or so intervals.