Go with Conroe?

brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hey Guys, I am planning to build my first computer. It will mainly serve as a gaming computer, as well a school tool. The OS will be Windows XP Pro. Here are my core components, second revision:

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775)
E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 100149 Video Card
Segate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (x2)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
NEC DVD+R 3550A
Samsung 204B
NeoPower 550W
Antec P-180B Case
Logitech MX1000
Logitech G15

Do you think that all these pieces will function well together? Here is a list of the games that I would like to play on it: Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, Civilization 4, Command and Conquer: The First Decade, Command and Conquer 3 (when it comes out), and Star Wars: Empire at War. My price window is $2100 - 2400. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    That looks like a very nice well balanced system. I do see 2 things of concern though. First I see you have 2 hard drives of the same listed and wish to dicourage you against RAID-0 if that is your intention. I would instead recomend a HD with the fastest seek time for your OS (ie: WD Raptor) and keep apps and files on a separate HD. I currently have my OS on one Raptor, my apps on another and my files on still another physical drive. This gives me the best oveall perormance I have ever had with any system and I have had some real nice RAID set-ups in the not so distant past. Second I would recomend a beefier PSU from FSP, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling Seasonic or Silverstone with at least 600W. I had been an Antec fan in the past but wasn't as impressed by them recently as I had been in the past. Just my thoughts. ;)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited September 2006
    Looks good, but I would take the advice of the above post. I must also mention that it looks like you are a command and conquer fan, I like that. :woowoo: