array problems with new windows install

edited September 2006 in Hardware
hello

i am new to this forum and have a HUGE problem.

i originally had a pc witha 40gb disk installed and two sata disks i with a jbod array i recently reinstalled windows. i backed up my data (360gbs) on the the array thinking i could reinitialise the array once windows had been reinstalled but once windows had been reintalled the data on the array had been lost. the data is still on the disk as i used data recovery software and found all the data is still there. is it possible to reintialise the array with all the data on it and recover the array. Absoutly and help would be appreciated and any questions as to my predicament.

Many thanks Devs

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    See if TestDisk can find the array for you. You should also make sure that you are using the same driver for the array that you had before. :)
  • edited September 2006
    all of the data that is stored on the array is there it has detected everything how do i get the array to be usable in windows?
    edited September 2006
    Does Windows see the array and assign it a drive letter? Describe in more detail what you mean by "detected".
  • edited September 2006
    windows has detected the array and it appears in the computer management console as the correct array as the size is correct. the raid array is detected as healthy in the raid utility but in the computer management console the array is unreadable. it ask if i want to make it usable but it will erase all the data on the array. Many thanks for the help profdlp
    edited September 2006
    Just to make sure that I have it right, Windows sees the drive formed by the array, but sees it as unformatted blank space. Is that correct?

If that's what you have, TestDisk ought to be able to find and restore the partition(s) formed on the array.

If I still don't have it right, let me know. :wave:
  • edited September 2006
    YES that got it working. thanks prof i cannot thank you enough i thought i had lost all of my data. Again many thanks devs
    edited September 2006
    That program has bailed many of us out, including myself.

Glad you got your data back. :cheers: