Thecus N4100 JBOD Array troubles

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I recently purchased a Thecus N4100 4-bay NAS enclosure. I have been playing around with different modes and arrays etc. I built a JBOD array with 2 500GB drives. I had some data on it, but nothing important. I added a third drive and the enclosure stuck on rebuilding the array and the data was inaccessible. Tech support suggested that I remove the drive and upgrade the firmware. When the 3rd drive was removed, the data became accessible again, but during the firmware upgrade, the array (with only 2 drives) was reformatted and the data "lost."

Is there any way to retrieve this data? Obviously I wouldn't be playing around with any data that was important to me, but since the drives haven't been written over, is it possible to undo an array reformat and get the data back?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    I would consult with a DRS (Data Recovery Service) concerning your predicament.

A couple of years ago, I encountered a similar problem where a customer accidentally reformatted the array using the windows based array utility (Via). The OS was on the primary HD 0 IDE.

I attempted the recreate, then run several file recovery utilities on the array with no success. No point in attempting the procedure on a broken array.